skip to content

Portugal coach Bento extends contract

More

09 Apr 2014 15:47:00

Portugal coach Bento extends contract

Portugal coach Paulo Bento has signed a new contract to keep him in the job until 2016, the Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) announced on Wednesday.

The 44-year-old, who replaced Carlos Queiroz as coach in 2010, was initially due to be out of contract after this year's World Cup in Brazil but will now stay through to the end of Euro 2016, which will be held in France.

"After an overall evaluation of the period in which we have worked together, we concluded that Paulo Bento had to extend his contract for two more years," said FPF president Fernando Gomes in a statement on their website.

"We are very satisfied that we can continue a project that has so far given good results."

Under Bento, Portugal reached the semi-finals at Euro 2012 and qualified for this year's World Cup via a play-off after coming second in their group behind Russia.

"It is an honour and a source of great pride to be able to continue serving my country. I have never hidden that I feel very good working with the Federation," said Bento.

Bento, who played for Portugal and also represented Benfica and Sporting Lisbon at club level, among others, began his coaching career at Sporting in 2005.

Portugal will come up against Germany, the United States and Ghana in Group G at this year's World Cup.


AFP

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Portugal News

advertisement

advertisment