Reid stands firm on McCarthy
Billy Reid has warned potential suitors for James McCarthy that he will not be sold on the cheap. The Hamilton midfielder has earned rave reviews for his performances this season and was recently named as Scotland's Young Player of the Year. Portsmouth failed with a bid, reported to be in the region of £500,000, earlier this week and Accies boss Reid insists it will take a much better offer to prise away the 18-year-old. "We can't influence what people value him at and put offers in at," said Reid. "I think that's a wee bit to test the water, to see exactly where the club is. "The one thing you can guarantee is James won't leave this club unless it's for decent money and he'll go to a club that he wants to go to. "No disrespect to Portsmouth, but the offer was knocked back." Speculation McCarthy has been tracked by several top clubs since making his debut as a 15-year-old in November 2006 and Reid does not expect the latest rumours to affect him. "James has had that speculation over the last couple of years so he knows how to handle it," said Reid, who takes his side to Inverness on Sunday. "If he keeps playing the way he's playing, it wouldn't surprise you if a lot bigger clubs came in for him as well." McCarthy signed a three-year deal last summer and is set to hold more talks with the club at the end of the season. But Reid said: "Whether it would be right for us to sit down and do another long-term deal, I'm not too sure. "But, if James is interested in that, we'll sit down and speak to him. "We're just concentrating on our games at the moment. Come the end of the season, we'll sit down with James and a few other lads and decide what's the best way forward."
Related Portsmouth News