skip to content

Ibrahimovic appeal sets precedent - Zubizarreta

More

Updated 01 Apr 2013 13:47:54

Ibrahimovic appeal sets precedent - Zubizarreta

Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has said UEFA have set a precedent by clearing Paris Saint-Germain striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic to play against his former club in the Champions League quarter-finals on Tuesday.

Ibrahimovic had originally been given a two-match ban after being sent-off in his side's 2-1 win over Valencia in the first-leg of their last-16 round tie.

However, an appeal against the second match of his ban was upheld last week.

"What matters to me about this decision is the result. The fact that Ibra is going to be able to play," he told reporters.

"I suppose that from now on UEFA will continue to use this same criteria in similar cases.

"We already know Ibrahimovic well. He is a great player. He scores goals, is quick and has great technical ability. With Ibra it is obvious that PSG is a better team."

Zubizarreta was though delighted to have manager Tito Vilanova back amongst the party that flew to the French capital on Monday morning.

Vilanova only returned to Barcelona last week after undergoing cancer treatment in New York for the past two months and is expected to take his place on the touchline for the first time since January at the Parc des Princes.

"The return of Tito to the bench is a return to normality," he said.

"We have been living in an anomalous and difficult situation. That Tito is with us is without doubt a good sign."


AFP

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Paris SG News

advertisement

advertisment