We made Remy 'fantastic offer', says Newcastle boss Alan Pardew
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew does not believe he could have done any more to bring France striker Loic Remy to St James' Park.
The 26-year-old joined Barclays Premier League bottom side QPR on Wednesday after the Magpies had led the way in the race to secure the frontman's signature. Remy travelled to Tyneside last Sunday for continued talks and a medical after Newcastle agreed an Â£8million fee with Marseille but the striker opted for a move to West London instead.
"It was a little strange as we had obviously put a lot of work in and made the club an offer that was accepted, a good offer," Pardew said. "We made a fantastic offer to the player and then he didn't arrive. This club is on a financial footing that is strong, but we're still not going to pay silly money. We're going to pay what is correct and that is what we offered."
He went on: "We made a fantastic offer, a fantastic Premiership offer to that player - trust me.
"I don't really want to criticise the player. The player makes the decision and he stands by it. I don't really have anything else to say on it."
Meanwhile, Pardew, who is preparing his side for a must-win match against strugglers Reading on Saturday, remains hopeful the situation surrounding Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini will be resolved in a positive way for the club next week.
Coloccini told the Magpies he wanted to return to his native Argentina for personal reasons, where his former club San Lorenzo have expressed a strong interest in signing him.
However, Newcastle would have to release the defender from the long-term contract he committed to last year as the Argentinian club cannot afford to buy him.
Pardew said: "We're going to sit down next week and hopefully iron out the issues and come to the conclusion that Colo stays and obviously that's what I hope for as a manager."
Related Newcastle United News