skip to content

Pardew calm over Ba speculation

07 Jan 2012 19:16:48

Pardew calm over Ba speculation

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew has delivered a frosty response to speculation over striker Demba Ba's future on Tyneside.

The 50-year-old was dismayed to read stories suggesting Tottenham could be ready to activate a release-clause in the Senegal international's contract this month after a stunning 15-goal start to his Magpies' career.

Spurs boss Harry Redknapp was asked about the 26-year-old on Friday, and his reply sparked a frenzy of rumours but, when asked about the matter on Saturday, a terse Pardew said: "I thought, listening to the conversation, that the media tripped him up a little bit, Harry."

He added: "You don't want to end up talking about other players in the transfer window and I am sure he probably regrets that a little bit.

"He's a Newcastle player, he has been brilliant for us and that's all I want to say, really."

Pardew's comments came after his side's dramatic 2-1 FA Cup third round victory over Blackburn, and he was not the only manager having to fend off interest in his players.

Rovers counterpart Steve Kean issued a hands-off message to QPR following their unsuccessful bid for defender Chris Samba, who was not part of Saturday's squad.

He said: "The situation is simple. Before any bid came in, we said he is not for sale.

"We had already made a decision that he was having treatment on an ankle injury and a bit of a tight hamstring, so that was the reason why he didn't travel. It was nothing to do with the bid.

"He's our player and we want to keep him at the club. I felt as tough he was getting a good partnership with Scott Dann before Scott got a nasty injury, and we want to add to the squad, we don't want to break it up."


PA

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Newcastle United News

advertisement

advertisment