skip to content

Newcastles Yohan Cabaye set to have PSG medical

By: Ahmed Osoble 28 Jan 2014 17:21:25

Newcastles Yohan Cabaye set to have PSG medical

Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye will have a medical at French champions Paris Saint Germain before joining after both clubs agreed a reported £19m fee.

The Magpies rejected a £14m bid from PSG for their French midfielder on Sunday, but the accepted bid is said to be significantly higher.

Speculation has been rife that the 28 year-old would depart St James's Park during the current transfer window, with Manchester United also believed to be interested in the player.

Cabaye has re-iterated his wish to play in the Champions League, a competition in which he played in during his time at Lille, and it is his strong desire to compete in Europe's elite competition which has persuaded Newcastle to cash in on the Frenchman.

Earlier on Monday, Newcastle boss Alan Pardew admitted he was worried that he would lose the 28-year-old, who has scored seven goals in 20 appearances for United this season.

Asked if he was confident Cabaye would remain a Newcastle player after Friday's 11pm deadline, Pardew evoked the situation in 2011 when the club sold striker Andy Carroll to Liverpool for £35m late in the window.

"You are talking to someone who lost Andy Carroll with eight hours to go, so am I confident? No, I'm not confident and I don't think any team not in a Champions League position or fighting for a Champions League position could be," said Pardew.

"I don't want him (Cabaye) to go. We have not indicated for one moment here from the owner down to any of my staff that we want him to go, not one bit."

"We are doing our best to protect Newcastle."

"Listen, we are a club that unfortunately at the minute, is not in a Champions League position, so therefore players can turn around to us and say they want Champions League, as Luis Suarez did with Liverpool.

"He stayed, Suarez, and they have got themselves in a position for the Champions league, but they wouldn't be there without him.

"It's a Catch 22 situation: you need to keep your best players to get in there and likewise, they want to play in there, so you have got to give them some hope.

"That's the position we really need to get ourselves into this year, or definitely next year or the year beyond.

"We have got big players, we attract good players, but we are not in a Champions League position or are able to say at the minute, 'We could be Champions League, stay with us and get the football here'.

"But it's probably difficult to say that with the other teams who have just kept winning, unfortunately.

"He has been a great player for this football club, and I think he has got better in this role that I have given him this year. He's playing number 10 for us and he's really taken to it.

"It's boosted his confidence and boosted his value as well, I think."

 


DSG

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Newcastle United News

advertisement

advertisment