skip to content

Newcastle United Under-18 0 Aston Villa Under-18 1 (Villa win 2-1 on aggregate)

17 Apr 2010 10:00:00

Newcastle United Under-18 0 Aston Villa Under-18 1 (Villa win 2-1 on aggregate)

Newcastle United Under-18 0 Aston Villa Under-18 1 (Villa win 2-1 on aggregate) Young Magpies hopes dashed as Villa go through IT'S 25 years since Newcastle United last won the FA Youth Cup and the wait goes on after Aston Villa emerged from St James' Park with a place in the final last night. A bizarre first-half winner from Villa's Connor Taylor proved the difference over the two legs and despite enjoying plenty of possession, Newcastle rarely tested goalkeeper Benjamin Siegrist. Their hopes weren't helped by Phil Airey's sending off for his second caution 14 minutes from time. First team boss Chris Hughton, whose side could be confirmed as the Championship title winners later today without kicking a ball, was among the near 5,000- strong crowd to witness the defeat, along with owner Mike Ashley and Derek Llambias. But Newcastle found a final spot beyond them with Villa now facing Chelsea for the Youth Cup. The best two chances of the first half fell to Newcastle but Airey was denied on both occasions. Airey, who scored in the first leg, headed over just before the quarter hour and also saw a shot blocked by defender Danny Devine. Plenty of neat passing, however, was not enough to separate the teams and then Newcastle Academy boss' Joe Joyce's side had it all to do when Villa opened the scoring 11 minutes before half-time. There was more than an element of fortune about it. Taylor headed goalwards from Samir Carruthers' centre, and goalkeeper Jak Alnwick's dived to his right but the push only turned the ball on to the post and over the line. An injury, which looked serious after a challenge from Carruthers, brought an end to Newcastle captain Jeff Henderson's semi-final, but his departure led to a double change that brought fresh impetus to the home team. Haris Vuckic, brought on along with full-back Patrick Nzuzi, was quick to make an impression. The Slovenian, being watched by Chelsea, struck low from distance and goalkeeper Benjamin Siegrist failed to gather. Newcastle, however, failed to make the most of the loose ball. On the hour mark the Newcastle crowd must have feared it was not going to be their night when Samuel Ameobi's near post header from Samuel Adjei's corner was cleared before the latter's left foot curler shaved the top of the bar. But when Airey was shown his second yellow for stamping on Carruthers, the chances of a comeback receded. Match facts Goals: Taylor (34, 0-1) Bookings: Dummett (43, foul); Airey (45, foul) Sent off: Airey (76, second bookable offence) Referee: Gary Sutton (Lincoln) 6 Attendance: 4, 959 Entertainment: *** NEWCASTLE UNITED (4-5-1): Alnwick 6; Tavernier 7, Henderson 7 (Nzuzi 46, 6), Folan 7 (McGorrigan 90), DUMMETT 8; Ameobi 6, McDermott 6 (Vuckic 46, 7), Inman 6, Newton 6, Adjei 6; Airey 6. Subs (not used): Robinson, Taylor. ASTON VILLA (4-4-2): Siegrist 7; Berry 7, Williams 7, Devine 7, Deeney 7; Simmonds 6, Blythe 6, CARRUTHERS 8, Roberts 6 (Nelson-Addy 31, 6); Taylor 6, Poyser 6 (Cameron 90). Subs (not used): Barrett, Dyer, Johnson. MAN OF THE MATCH: Samir Carruthers Newcastle fans might not like it, but he was a menace from start to finish.


Sponsored links