- Newcastle United News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Decision day for Barton
Published : 26 Aug 2011 13:30:18Rss feed
Joey Barton says he will make a decision over his future on Friday as he considers an offer to leave Newcastle and join QPR.
The 28-year-old midfielder underwent the second stage of a medical with the newly-promoted London club on Thursday and then told his Twitter followers that he needed some "time and space" to think about the move south.
However, with the summer transfer window due to close at 11pm on Wednesday night Barton knows he cannot keep QPR, or Newcastle, hanging on for long and wrote on Twitter on Friday: "Going to have to make a decision today, its only fair to all parties."
Barton is known to be happy in the north-east, but has fallen foul of the club hierarchy in recent weeks because of his outspoken remarks regarding their transfer policy and was made available on a free transfer.
The player has a year to go on his contract at St James' Park, with talks over a new deal having stalled in January and the offer he was presented with then since being withdrawn.
Barton previously said he would only leave Newcastle for Champions League football and QPR boss Neil Warnock admits the signing would be some coup for his club.
"I think we're lucky to be looking at a player like that," Warnock said. "It shows how ambitious the chairman (Tony Fernandes) is. He listened to the players I would like to bring in and Joey was one of them.
"We've just got down the line and we hope to bring in another four or five before next Wednesday night."
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew has told Barton he would remain a welcome part of his squad should he turn down a move to QPR.
"He knows he can come back here and we'll take care of him," Pardew said. "I think he trusts me as a manager. He trusts the staff here and has a bond with the players. At the same time he's got an offer that is making him think to go elsewhere."
Related Newcastle United News