Cabaye says, I am happy at Newcastle
Yohan Cabaye has apologised to Newcastle's fans for confusion over his future at the start of the season.
The France midfielder was the subject of a bid from Arsenal on the eve of the campaign and, while that was rejected out of hand, manager Alan Pardew kept him out of the side for the first two matches of the season.
Reports quickly followed that Cabaye's head had been turned by the Gunners and he was agitating to push the transfer through.
But the transfer window shut without further developments and Cabaye returned to the starting XI for Saturday's 2-1 win at Aston Villa, having come on as a substitute the previous weekend against Fulham.
He was warmly applauded by the Magpies' travelling fans when he was substituted late on, but he accepts he has some making up still to do.
"(The fans' response) was very nice to hear. If the fans were - or still are - mad at me for what happened then I understand and I apologise to them," he told www.nufc.co.uk.
"I want to come back from what has happened. I was happy and I am still happy.
"I just want to try and score goals and play well.
"It was very, very good to be back in the team; a really nice feeling."
While Newcastle may be buoyed by Cabaye's words, he appeared to suggest his new-found commitment extended only to the end of the current campaign.
Related Newcastle United News