Toon Eight Add To Record Breaking Day!

06 February 2011 01:19
Eight goals at St James' Park yesterday added to a record breaking day for the Premiership. Wolves 2 Man Utd 1Newcastle 4 Arsenal 4Man City 3 West Brom 0Tottenham 2 Bolton 1Stoke 3 Sunderland 2Wigan 4 Blackburn 3Aston Villa 2 Fulham 2Everton 5 Blackpool 3 The 41st goal of a record day for scoring in the Premier League ended Manchester United's long unbeaten run as Wolves claimed another notable scalp at Molineux. United's name can now go alongside Manchester City and Chelsea as title contenders who have lost at the Black Country venue after Wolves bounced back from an early goal, then repelled a fierce second-half pummelling to win 2-1. Wolves, who are still bottom of the table, were able to celebrate thanks to a George Elokobi header which levelled Nani's third-minute opener and a winner whose scorer was disputed - Elokobi and Kevin Doyle both claimed to get the final tough to Nenad Milijas' 40th-minute free-kick - but whose value was unquestioned. The result meant United's lead at the top was trimmed to four points over an Arsenal side who earlier tossed away a four-goal lead as Newcastle staged an incredible comeback to draw 4-4 at St James' Park. The Gunners made the perfect start when Theo Walcott gave them a first-minute lead, and it was 2-0 inside three minutes when Johan Djourou headed home Andrey Arshavin's free-kick. Robin van Persie made it three in the 10th minute and the Dutchman headed in his second and Arsenal's fourth 16 minutes later from a Bacary Sagna cross. Abou Diaby was dismissed in the second half after reacting to a challenge by Joey Barton, who pulled one back for the Magpies from the penalty spot soon afterwards. Leon Best cut the gap to two goals in the 75th minute. Barton scored a second from the spot before Cheik Tiote's long-range volley completed a stunning recovery by the Magpies. A Carlos Tevez hat-trick, which took his tally for the season to 18, gave third-placed Manchester City a 3-0 win at home to West Brom and moved them within a point of Arsenal. Tevez tucked home a spot-kick after Steven Reid had fouled Aleksandar Kolarov and the Argentinian added a second after 20 minutes from a David Silva pass. He completed his treble with a second penalty following a handball in the box by Jerome Thomas as the Baggies suffered a fifth successive league defeat away from home. Fifth-placed Tottenham joined Chelsea in fourth on 44 points with a last-gasp 2-1 win at home to Bolton. Rafael van der Vaart tucked in a sixth-minute penalty for his 10th league goal of the season after Gary Cahill fouled Jermain Defoe, but the Dutchman missed a second spot-kick shortly afterwards. It looked like a costly miss as Chelsea loanee Daniel Sturridge drew Bolton level, but Niko Kranjcar won it for Spurs in the 90th minute. Four goals from Louis Saha helped Everton to a 5-3 victory over Blackpool, who have now lost five Premier League games in a row. Saha put the Toffees 1-0 up but Blackpool scored from a corner with a goal credited to Alex Baptiste. The French forward restored Everton's lead two minutes into the second half but Jason Puncheon equalised again for the Seasiders before skipper Charlie Adam put them in front, heading home after DJ Campbell's shot was tipped onto the crossbar by Tim Howard. Saha completed his hat-trick in the 76th minute to bring the scores level again and Jermaine Beckford volleyed Everton back in front from a Leighton Baines cross. Saha completed his personal haul with six minutes left. Wigan secured only their third home league win of the season with a 4-3 victory over Lancashire neighbours Blackburn at the DW Stadium. Jason Roberts put Rovers ahead midway through the first half but James McCarthy levelled for the Latics in the 35th minute. Hugo Rodallega made it 2-1 to Wigan five minutes into the second half and McCarthy added his second and Wigan's third before Christopher Samba reduced the deficit back to one before Ben Watson added a fourth for the hosts. David Dunn grabbed the visitors' third goal with an 81st-minute penalty. Fulham secured their 12th Premier League draw of the season as their game at Aston Villa finished 2-2. An own goal by John Pantsil gave Aston Villa a 13th-minute lead at home to Fulham as Gerard Houllier's men looked to get back on track after a midweek defeat at Manchester United. However the Cottagers drew level as Andrew Johnson - formerly of Villa's bitter rivals Birmingham - headed home from a cross by former Villa midfielder Steve Sidwell. On-loan full-back Kyle Walker restored Villa's advantage with 18 minutes to go but Clint Dempsey brought the Londoners level again. A second-half double from Robert Huth helped Stoke come from behind to claim a 3-2 win at home to Sunderland in the day's early kick-off at the Britannia Stadium. Tony Pulis' side came into the game having lost back-to-back games and looked on course for a third when Kieran Richardson grabbed his fourth goal in three games to put the Black Cats in front with less than two minutes played. John Carew scrambled in an equaliser in the 32nd minute on his home debut after a trademark Rory Delap throw-in caused panic in the Sunderland defence. Asamoah Gyan restored Sunderland's lead early in the second half but the Potters levelled via another set-piece as Huth appeared to get the last touch to an inswinging Jermaine Pennant free-kick. The home side grabbed the winner in stoppage time as the German defender again got on the end of a dangerous Pennant dead ball.  


World Cup Group G

Belgium 1 0 0 3 3
England 1 0 0 1 3
Tunisa 0 0 1 -1 0
Panama 0 0 1 -3 0
Last updated : 08:44