Toon Crash Out Of Youth Cup

28 November 2012 11:25
Newcastle United's young kids crashed out of the FA Youth Cup as Arsenal marched into the fourth round. NEWCASTLE UNITED

Freddie WoodmanJonathan MitchellLubo SatkaAlex KitchenLee Desmond(46)Lewis AirdMacauley BoothAlex Gilliead(70)Jonathyn QuinnTom HeardmanSteve LoganSubstitutesKyle CameronAdam Armstrong(46)Jamie SterryGreg Olley(70)Liam Smith

Newcastle reached the quarter-final stage last season, but an impressive performance by Arsenal at Underhill shattered Geordie dreams of another cup run.

First-half goals by Anthony Jeffrey and Hector Bellerin set the Gunners on their way, before Chuba Akpom put the gloss on the win by adding a third just before full time.

Arsenal made a fast start, clearly eager to erase the memory of last season’s third-round defeat to Derby County.

Olsson, Jeffrey and Bellerin all created opportunities for Toral in the opening 10 minutes as the home side began with purpose. Twice the midfielder’s aim let him down, and when he did get it right, Freddie Woodman was on hand to make a fine reflex save from close range.

The visitors were struggling to live with Arsenal’s play. Bellerin and Jeffrey in particular were causing all sorts of trouble down the right-hand side, though Gatting’s team were often let down by the final pass.

There was a sense that a goal was coming, and it duly arrived midway through the half.

Akpom advanced to the halfway line before sliding a perfectly-weighted pass into the path of Jeffrey. The winger accelerated clear of the defence before firing a powerful shot into the bottom corner.

Despite having the lead, Arsenal stayed on the attack. Akpom could have done better after Olsson had set him up, then after 33 minutes Hayden’s glancing header was headed off the line.

It had been a convincing first-half performance by Gatting’s youngsters, and they added the second goal their play merited just before the interval.

Bellerin embarked on yet another marauding run before exchanging passes with Toral and keeping his composure to coolly slot past Woodman.

Newcastle introduced Adam Armstrong for Lee Desmond at the break in a bid to turn things around, and they created the first chance of the second period when Steve Logan dispossessed Fagan and charged through. Fortunately for the defender, Hayden raced back to block the eventual shot.

In the end, Arsenal had to wait until two minutes from time to finish the game off. Olsson broke with purpose before releasing Bellerin. The full back charged forward and crossed for Akpom to tap home.






Source: Newcastle United Mad


Trending on the forum