Stamp Lickers 1 Toon 1

21 October 2012 11:41
The best possible start for Newcastle, but some of their fans missed the first 15 minutes because of unbelievable shit organization from the notorious Northumberland Police. SUNDERLAND 1 NEWCASTLE UTD 1

SUNDERLAND: 22. Simon Mignolet 8. Craig Gardner 16. John O'Shea 24. Carlos Cuellar 3. Danny Rose 21. Adam Johnson 83' 7. Sebastian Larsson 14. Jack Colback 23. James McClean 28. Stephane Sessegnon 64' 26. Steven Fletcher Subs20. Keiren Westwood 2. Phil Bardsley 9. Fraizer Campbell 12. Matthew Kilgallon 15. David Vaughan 83' 18. David Meyler 25. Louis Saha 64'

NEWCASTLE: 1. Tim Krul 5. Danny Simpson 6. Mike Williamson 2. Fabricio Coloccini 79' 3. Davide Santon 18. Jonas Gutierrez 4. Yohan Cabaye 24. Cheick Tiote 10. Hatem Ben Arfa 83' 19. Demba Ba 23. Shola Ameobi 38' Subs37. Steve Harper 8. Vurnon Anita 9. Papiss Cisse 14. James Perch 38' 25. Gabriel Obertan 83' 27. Steven Taylor 79' 31. Shane Ferguson

In the end I don't think the Mackems had a single shot on target, but Demba Ba's own goal denied 10-man Newcastle derby victory at the "Dark Side". 

The Senegal striker could only look on in horror as John O'Shea's 85th-minute header hit him and sailed past helpless keeper Tim Krul, to give the "Unwashed" a point.

For an hour the Mackems couldn't make the most of Cheick Tiote's 25th-minute dismissal for a studs-up challenge on Steven Fletcher, as the Magpies were better in every department of the field.

Apart from Ba's header, Tim Krul said he never felt threatened the entire match, and the home side didn't have a single shot on target.

Yohan Cabaye got the Magpies off to the perfect start with just three minutes gone and the Sunderland fans were stunned into silence.

Sunderland were rarely able to trouble Krul as Adam Johnson, James McClean and Stephane Sessegnon struggled to provide any meaningful service for frontman - and ONLY threat - Steven Fletcher.

But although they emerged with a point, the Black Cats have won only one home league derby since 1980, and have now tasted victory home or away against their neighbours on just one occasion in the last 16.

Returning skipper Fabricio Coloccini was superb.

It took less than three minutes for an eagerly-anticipated encounter to catch fire.

Hatem Ben Arfa found space down the right and played the ball in to Ba, whose shot from a tight angle was blocked by keeper Simon Mignolet at his near post.

However, the Belgium international could only turn the ball into the path of the fast-arriving Cabaye at the edge of the box and his low drive was true and powerful and flew into the back of the net to send the travelling fans behind the goal into delirious celebrations.

Mike Williamson had to intervene to prevent Fletcher from reaching Sebastian Larsson's teasing right-wing cross four minutes later.

The Black Cats lacked penetration and Krul had to field Larsson's 17th-minute free-kick, but little else.

O'Shea made an important block to keep out Ba's volley seconds later as Newcastle continued to show the greater threat.

However, the game changed with 25 minutes gone when Newcastle's midfield enforcer Tiote was sent back to the dressing room after careering into Fletcher.

Referee Martin Atkinson had already blown for a foul on the Ivorian by Jack Colback, but his momentum carried him into the Scotland international and as the home fans bayed for blood, the official produced a red card, much to Tiote's astonishment.

From that moment onwards Atkinson lost control of the match, putting in the worst refereeing performance in one half than we have seen since Trelford Mills in the 1980's (ask yer dad!).

The visitors temporarily re-organised by dropping striker Ba into a deeper role, but manager Alan Pardew eventually introduced James Perch in an attempt to plug the gap with derby specialist Shola Ameobi reluctantly making way.

In the meantime, Johnson had curled a left-foot effort high and wide, and full-back Craig Gardner had smashed a 35th-minute free-kick inches wide and seen another effort blocked by Williamson's backside.

But the Magpies might have increased their lead four minutes before the break when Coloccini's shot from a well-worked corner was blocked and Ba acrobatically hooked the ball over the bar after controlling the rebound.

Sunderland went close within two minutes of the restart when Fletcher headed across goal from another Larsson cross.

But Newcastle were refusing to sit back and Mignolet had to pluck a deflected Ba shot out of the air after Cabaye had found him 25 yards out.

The home side were once again dominating possession, but a succession of poor final balls let the visitors off the hook with the locals growing increasingly restless.

Newcastle were defending deep and trying to hit their hosts on the break, although as the clock ticked towards the hour-mark, the traffic was largely one-way.

Coloccini deflected McClean's 64th-minute shot wide seconds before Martin O'Neill withdrew the ineffectual Sessegnon to send on former Magpies striker Louis Saha with the temperature rising inside the stadium.

The pressure was mounting all the time, but with Coloccini and Williamson in commanding form at the back, Krul continued to enjoy enviable protection.

Newcastle could have increased their lead nine minutes from time when Cabaye and Ben Arfa staged a lightning break before the latter fed Ba, whose shot was blocked by O'Shea.

Saha might have levelled seconds later, but fired into the side-netting from McClean's flick-on, but redemption was close at hand.

O'Shea met Larsson's deep free-kick with a header which hit Ba and flew past Krul into the net to allow the home fans to breathe again.

McClean and Gardner both went close in a late flurry, but Newcastle saw out time to return to Tyneside the happier of the two sides, but wondering what might have been.






Source: Newcastle United Mad