Olympiacos 1 Newcastle 1

28 July 2012 12:54
United went into the Estadio Algarve for the next leg of their pre-season build up against foreign clubs.

NEWCASTLE: Krul, Perch, Williamson, S.Taylor (Dummett 46), Santon, Obertan (Sammy Ameobi 72), Bigirimana, Gosling (Abeid 36), Amalfitano, Vuckic, Shola Ameobi (Cisse 72).

OLYMPIACOS: Carroll, Papazoglou, Fejsa, Rafik, Fetzatzdis, Dimitris, Claude, Vlahodimos, Da Silva, Luis Santo, Vasileios.

And it was a marvelous return to action for Steven Taylor after seven months of injury hell on the sidelines.

Newcastle drew 1-1 in 90 minutes against Olympiacos before then drawing in a penalty shoot-out used to help determine a winner.

To win the Trofeu Guadiana Newcastle have to beat Braga – and only if the game is drawn will all goals – including shoot-out penalties – be used to determine the winner.

Geordie teenager Paul Dummett will probably take the most encouragement from the match, having put in a good performance as substitute.

He did himself plenty of favours in front of Alan Pardew, playing in the heart of defence.

Olympiacos couldn’t handle the way Newcastle sparkled at times and lost their composure when Francois Modesto was sent off for a wild, late tackle on Romain Amalfitano in the second half.

Yet, like the game with the Turkish side last week, Newcastle could not see the game out.

The 10 men equalised with 11 minutes to go when Kostas Mitroglou stroked home in the box to tie things up after a left-flank attack.

United had operated in slick manner in the first half with some neat passages of passing play.

Gabriel Obertan galloped down both flanks as Newcastle experimented and looked lively.

Haris Vuckic continued his progress by starring just behind Shola Ameobi, and although he didn’t show his predatory side in front of goal with a couple of half chances, he did offer good movement in and around the last third.

Once more both new boys Romain Amalfitano and Gael Bigirimana are able to step into the first-team ranks by displaying energetic displays in midfield.

Newcastle bossed the first half and the Greeks couldn’t seem to live with their fellow tourists.

Yet in the second half, Newcastle failed to build on their lead.

That set up a penalty contest.

Djamel Aboun opened the scoring by chipping the ball down the middle to make it 1-0.

Papiss Cisse then blazed the ball over before Maniatis beat Krul to make it 2-0.

Haris Vuckic pulled one back with a well-taken kick.

Pantelic sent Krul the wrong way and it was 3-1 before Amalfitano reduced arrears.

Then Jose Holebas edged Olympiacos 4-2 ahead.

James Perch made it 4-3 before Krul saved from Andeas Tatos.

That left Mehdi Abeid to make it 4-4 and keep Newcastle in contention to win the tournament.


Trending on the forum