Five Down - Toon Hope For Progression In Last Three!

27 October 2010 11:16
Man Utd, West Brom, Birmingham, Wigan and Ipswich all progressed to the Carling Cup quarter finals last night. Is it Newcastle's turn tonight? CARLING CUP Man United 3 Wolves 2Leicester 1 West Brom 4Birm'ham 1 Brentf'd 1 (aet) (B'ham win 4-3 op pens)Wigan 2 Swansea 0Ipswich 3 Northampton 1 Wednesday 27th October 2010   Aston Villa  v  Burnley 19.45 Newcastle  v  Arsenal 19.45 West Ham  v  Stoke City 19.45 Manchester United's new hero Javier Hernandez took the plaudits again to keep the Red Devils' hopes of a third consecutive Carling Cup alive with a 3-2 fourth-round win over Wolves. United were twice pegged back in the second half - George Elokobi cancelling out Bebe's deflected opener and Kevin Foley levelling after Park Ji-sung's strike. However, with extra-time approaching, Hernandez came off the bench to secure victory for the hosts and send United through to the quarter-finals. Mauro Boselli finally started to pay off his £6million transfer fee as Wigan joined United in the quarter-final draw with a 2-0 defeat of Swansea. The Argentinian striker claimed his first goal since his summer move from Estudiantes as Wigan manager Roberto Martinez secured victory over his former club at the DW Stadium. Cedric van der Gun should have given the npower Championship visitors an early lead but Boselli gave Wigan a 51st-minute advantage and Ben Watson added a late penalty. Leicester goalkeeper Conrad Logan gifted West Brom their place in the hat with a clanger that swung the game firmly in the visitors' direction. The sides were locked at 1-1 after a Simon Cox strike for Albion and a Nicky Shorey own-goal, when Logan spilled the ball at Somen Tchoyi's feet to leave the hosts behind again. Steven Reid and Cox, with a second, added the gloss on a 4-1 win. Roy Keane's Ipswich side came from a goal behind to end Northampton's brave run in the competition. The Cobblers - who famously dumped Liverpool out in the previous round - came into the clash at Portman Road languishing in 91st place in the Football League ladder yet looked set for another shock when Liam Davis put them ahead early on. But goals from Carlos Edwards and Damien Delaney soon had the Championship side in front and Keane's men turned in a professional second-half display to seal their progress with Tamas Priskin adding a late third. Birmingham needed penalties to overcome League One Brentford following a 1-1 draw after extra time. The Bees looked to have followed up their victory over Everton with success at St. Andrew's through Sam Wood's 15 yard drive mid-way through the second half. But veteran striker Kevin Phillips broke their hearts in the 92nd minute with the equaliser and Blues keeper Maik Taylor made the decisive save to deny Bees defender Craig Woodman from the spot as they edged the shootout 4-3.