Sol Campbell will remain in the Barclays Premier League next season after signing a one-year deal with newly-promoted Newcastle.
The 35-year-old was out of contract after his short-term deal with Arsenal ran out earlier this summer.
Campbell had courted interest from Newcastle's north-east rivals Sunderland as well as Celtic, but the Magpies emerged as the front-runners to secure his services and he completed a medical on Tyneside on Tuesday.
Campbell's signing will bolster a Newcastle defence that has been weakened by Steven Taylor's shoulder injury. Taylor is set to miss the start of the season, which begins away to Manchester United on August 16, but there are fears he could be sidelined for several months, prompting manager Chris Hughton to make his move for Campbell.
And the former England international, who only 12 months ago was on the books of then npower League Two side Notts County, said he was delighted to be a part of the club's quest to re-establish themselves in the top tier.
"At this stage of my career I couldn't have wished for a better move," Campbell, who will wear the number five shirt, told the club's official website. "To join a club such as Newcastle United, with its proud tradition, heritage and magnificent support is absolutely tremendous for me."