Blackpool 1 Toon 1

24 April 2011 06:03
Blackpool boss Ian Holloway had a lot to say prior to this fixture, saying his side "weren't too far behind Newcastle, considering how far ahead Newcastle were last season". BLACKPOOL 1 NEWCASTLE 1 BLACKPOOL: Gilks, Eardley, Baptiste, Evatt, Crainey, Vaughan, Adam, Southern, Phillips (Varney 83), Campbell, Taylor-Fletcher (Puncheon 89). Subs Not Used: Kingson, Ormerod, Cathcart, Reid, Beattie. NEWCASTLE: Krul, Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Jose Enrique, Barton, Nolan (Perch 86), Tiote, Gutierrez, Ameobi (Kuqi 90), Lovenkrands (Ireland 62). Subs Not Used: Soderberg, Ryan Taylor, Steven Taylor, Ranger. Att: 16,003 DJ Campbell scored a dodgy equaliser to cancel out an early Peter Lovenkrands strike, but the Seasiders had three penalty appeals rejected and were probably the better of the two sides on the day. This was obviously a game that Blackpool needed to win, far more than Newcastle, and they must be cursing the result. On the other hand, it was a point that surely must keep the Magpies in the Premiership. 41 points for Newcastle, and West Ham hold the Premiership record of going down with 42, but that won't happen again this term. Blackpool fans claimed goalkeeper Tim Krul brought down Campbell and Danny Simpson, but the referee saw nothing wrong Charlie Adam struck the post after the break as Blackpool turned the screw, but Alan Pardew's side held firm. United took the lead after 17 minutes following a dreadful error from Adam. The Seasiders skipper tried to exchange passes just outside his area but allowed Joey Barton to sneak in and set up Lovenkrands. The Dane took the ball in his stride and struck a low shot from the edge of the area which found the bottom corner. The hosts were furious to have a penalty claim rejected when Campbell seized on a poor pass across goal by Jose Enrique. The striker appeared to beat Krul to the ball before being brought down by the goalkeeper but referee Atkinson waved play on, much to the fury of watching Blackpool manager Ian Holloway. Luck turned for both Campbell and Enrique as Blackpool claimed an equaliser after 32 minutes. The ball looped goalwards off Campbell's thigh as he met an Adam corner at the near post and was ruled to have crossed the line before Enrique headed clear from under the crossbar. Blackpool had another good penalty shout denied as the frantic first half continued, as Simpson appeared to handle after stumbling in the area. Holloway's men piled on the pressure before the break and were unfortunate again when Enrique blocked a powerful Baptiste shot on the line. The second half began at the same frenetic pace as the first with Ameobi firing just over for Newcastle after a driving run by Kevin Nolan. Adam went close with a low free-kick which curled just wide and Neal Eardley clipped another set-piece narrowly over the bar. Blackpool should have claimed the lead just after the hour when Stephen Crainey picked out Taylor-Fletcher with a superb cross but the striker's glancing header flew over. Blackpool were cursing their luck again moments later when Fabricio Coloccini's attempt to break up a slick move involving Campbell and Matt Phillips unintentionally set up Adam. Adam beat Krul with a sweet low shot from the edge of the area but the ball rebounded off the foot of the post and away to safety. Taylor-Fletcher had another chance but saw a header blocked and Keith Southern shot wide. Stephen Ireland had a shot blocked after a goalmouth scramble at the other end and the game wound down as a draw. Luke Varney had a late opening for Blackpool but was unable to find the target.    


World Cup Group G

Belgium 1 0 0 3 3
England 1 0 0 1 3
Tunisa 0 0 1 -1 0
Panama 0 0 1 -3 0
Last updated : 08:44