- Netherlands News
- News Archive
- League Table
- World Cup Group E News
Dutch linesman death teams to play again - report
Published : 21 Dec 2012 11:16:51Rss feed
The home football club of a Dutch linesman who was kicked to death earlier this month is to play the team of his attackers again, Dutch media reported Friday.
"We will play against each other again," Buintenboys club director Marcel Oost told local radio station Omroep Flevoland.
National broadcaster NOS said that the encounter between his club from Almere, just east of the Dutch capital, with Amsterdam club Nieuw Sloten would happen "soon".
Police have arrested eight people, including seven teenagers and a 50-year-old man, in connection with the shock death of linesman Richard Nieuwenhuizen, who was set upon by Nieuw Sloten players on December 2.
Nieuwenhuizen, 41, officiated as linesman in the match in which his own son played and was attacked shortly after the final whistle. He was allegedly kicked several times in the head but got up and went home.
He became ill a few hours later and died the following day in hospital with his family at his side.
The two clubs' bosses met each other on Thursday for the first time since the death and agreed the match would be played at Nieuw Sloten.
"It is of course a special match for both clubs," Oost said, adding that the clubs would manage the encounter "in an appropriate way", without elaborating.
The teens are being held at an undisclosed youth detention centre and face manslaughter, assault and public violence charges.
The assault shocked the football-mad Netherlands, where some 1.2 million people out of a population of 16.5 million are members of national football federation KNVB.
Thousands of people turned out for a silent march in Almere after the killing to pay their final tributes to Nieuwenhuizen.
Related Netherlands News