Motherwell lose despite scoring three in Inverness

04 May 2013 05:15
Motherwell lost by the odd goal in seven after a thrilling contest in Inverness. Three down after half an hour, the 'Well fought back to level the game before ICT grabbed the winner with the visitors down to ten men.

It was just the sort of game that was needed to warm up a chilly afternoon.  The game raged from end to end with neither team interested in defending.  The teams went at each other from the kick off but despite a terrific come back we lost in the end and still seek the elusive point needed to secure second place.

For the fifth consecutive game Stuart McCall was able to choose the same starting eleven and they kicked off with their backs to the wind and facing to the two hundred ‘Well fans who were in full song.

Inverness took the lead following their first attack in three minutes.  Graeme Shinnie’s free kick was blocked by the wall that had taken station a few yards inside the 18 yard line.  It was chipped deep and squared for McKay to win the killing touch at the near post.

We almost scored an immediate equaliser when Law sneaked into the box but either a slip or a nudge robbed him of the touch needed to beat the ‘keeper.  A collapse followed.

Inverness took control and seemed able to slice through our defence at will.  We looked unsure at the back and contrived to concede a further two goals.  Andrew Shinnie turned and shot to Randolph’s left and two minutes later McKay got on the end of a Shinnie cross to leave us three down before half an hour.

McFadden gave us hope with fine 20 yard strike and the players had a chance to regroup. We pulled another one back three minutes into the second half when Ojamaa was fouled inside the box and Higdon converted from the spot. The game was on the turn.

The home side had no intention of defending their lead and we had a few scary moments before they were awarded a penalty.  Randolph, in front of the drum led choir, saved McKay’s spot kick.  It was a crucial moment and we took full advantage when Faddy scored his second with a well placed shot off the post to make the tally 3-3.

Both sides pressed for the winner and there were close calls at either           end.  Ojamaa collected his second yellow in 70 minutes for a foul on Shinnie – his first was for a dive.  His dismissal changed the balance and inevitably McKay killed off our chance of a point with his late goal as he completed his hat trick.


Inverness 4  Motherwell 3

Motherwell: Randolph, Hammell, Law, Hutchinson, Hateley, Humphrey (Kerr 82), Ojamaa, Higdon, Lasley, Ramsden (McHugh 85), McFadden

Inverness: Reguero, G Shinnie, Hogg, McKay, Draper, Foran, A Shinnnie, Ross, Meekings, Doran, Devine





Source: FirParkCorner


World Cup Group G

Belgium 1 0 0 3 3
England 1 0 0 1 3
Tunisa 0 0 1 -1 0
Panama 0 0 1 -3 0
Last updated : 08:44