Millwall 1-1 Bolton: Match Report

15 February 2014 06:01
Millwall 1-1 Bolton: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statistics of the game as it happened.

Woolford denies Bolton

Martyn Woolford's late equaliser earned Millwall a share of the spoils as they drew 1-1 with fellow Championship strugglers Bolton at The Den.

Bolton, who took a first-half lead through Lukas Jutkiewicz, have now gone nine games without a league win but the draw at least signalled the end of a run of four straight away defeats.

The visitors struggled with the blustery conditions early on as David Wheater missed a header, but Matt Mills was on hand to clear from onrushing Lions striker Steve Morison.

The hosts went close again after 11 minutes when Jermaine Easter cut inside from the left channel to fire a dipping shot just wide of the far post.

Bolton took the lead just four minutes later. Chris Eagles sent over a teasing cross from the right and Jutkiewicz got across his man to head across goal and into the far corner.

The hosts were certain they had equalised on 20 minutes as Woolford picked up the ball at the far post and fired beyond Trotters goalkeeper Adam Bogdan, only for Wheater to make a stunning clearance off the line.

Millwall were denied on the line again five minutes later when Bogdan palmed the ball into Easter's path, but he was left ruing another saving block from Alex Baptiste.

Bolton were throwing bodies at everything and it took another strong block from Mills to prevent Woolford threatening from the edge of the box.

Lee Martin then fired just over as Millwall ended the half on top but a goal down at the interval.

Bolton went close to doubling their lead five minutes into the second half when Ed Upson brought down Mark Davies with a heavy tackle 25 yards form goal.

Eagles stepped up to take the free-kick and curled a right-footed effort out of David Forde's reach but the ball struck the base of the post.

Lions boss Ian Holloway tried to shake things up with a triple substitution after just 56 minutes but his changes had little immediate effect.

Two of them did combine after 66 minutes but DJ Campbell could only head Scott McDonald's cross harmlessly over the bar.

A minute later Bolton had the ball in the net, but Darren Pratley's effort was ruled out for offside.

Millwall piled on the pressure in the latter stages and Woolford went close again but his powerful drive was well saved by Bogdan.

Bolton had a golden opportunity to seal the win after 77 minutes when Danny Shittu handled in the area, but Jutkiewicz's weak penalty was saved by Forde.

And the hosts made them pay with eight minutes to go when Woolford pounced on the rebound to fire home after Bogdan had parried a shot from substitute Simeon Jackson.

Source: PA