Ipswich Town 1 Middlesbrough 1: match report

06 February 2010 06:14
David Wheater's first goal in 18 months rescued a Coca-Cola Championship point for Middlesbrough against Ipswich at Portman Road. [LNB]The big defender headed home in the second half to find the net for the first time since the opening day of last season. [LNB]Football Fixtures 2009/2010: ChampionshipAn even longer goal drought had been ended in the first minute of the game when Daryl Murphy marked his Ipswich debut with a goal after just 23 seconds. [LNB]Roy Keane raided his former club Sunderland to sign Murphy and David Healy on transfer deadline day and it paid dividends immediately. [LNB]Healy crossed from the right side and Murphy sent a shot into the bottom corner from 12 yards. It was the first time he had been on the scoresheet since scoring for the Black Cats in a 2-0 Premier League win over Wigan on February 9, 2008. [LNB]Healy and Murphy were two of four changes made by Keane. Elsewhere, defender David Wright and midfielder Jonathan Walters were restored to the starting line-up. [LNB]Boro boss Gordon Strachan also made four changes. Lee Miller and Kyle Naughton went straight into the side while fellow transfer-window arrival Stephen McManus made his debut and Andrew Taylor was recalled. [LNB]The sale of 12-goal winger Adam Johnson to Manchester City coupled with several players absent through injury and suspension saw Strachan start the game with three centre-halves and three full-backs. [LNB]It was immediately evident that players were playing out of position by the start they made to the game. [LNB]But Boro regrouped after conceding the early goal, although they posed little in the way of an attacking threat in the first half. [LNB]Chris Killen got an acrobatic effort on target on the half-hour mark but it was a routine save for Arran Lee-Barrett. [LNB]Healy and Murphy continued to look lively and had several shots blocked by Boro defenders before the visitors came into the game after the break. [LNB]Miller fired over the crossbar five minutes into the second half and Killen forced a fine save from Lee-Barrett when his shot inside the area was tipped around a post. [LNB]Boro's pressure paid off after 62 minutes when Wheater headed home Gary O'Neil's left-wing cross. [LNB]Ipswich had a chance to retake the lead with 12 minutes remaining when Gareth McAuley headed Grant Leadbitter's corner over the crossbar. [LNB]

Source: Telegraph