skip to content

Mexicans will not punish dope probe players

08 Jul 2011 21:00:10

The Mexican football Federation said Friday it will not punish five players thrown off the national squad after they became embroiled in a doping probe, in a move likely to prompt an appeal by the World Anti-Dopnig Agency (WADA).

The five were found to have tested positive for traces of clenbuterol at the CONCACAF Gold Cup which Mexico lifted last month.

But Alfonso Sabater, head of the Federation's disciplinary committee, indicated Guillermo Ochoa, Francisco Rodriguez, Edgar Duenas, Antonio Naelson and Christian Bermudez had been the victims of "exceptional circumstancias" and that therefore no period of suspension should be applied" to them.

Sabater told a press conference that an investigation had shown the positive tests for the banned muscle builder primarily used for cattle "resulted from food contamination," the same argument used by Tour de France cycling champion Alberto Contador, who tested positive for the substance at last year's Tour.

The Federation has passed on its findings to both FIFA and WADA - which has leave to appeal.

The Mexicans were suspended four weeks ago after they tested positive following results from a May 21 test during Mexico's pre-Gold Cup training camp.

The Mexicans have claimed throughout that eating tainted beef and chicken caused the positive tests.

Earlier this month, FIFA president Sepp Blatter had said he believed the thesis that tainted meat was to blame.

A positive test for doping could in theory see the players banned for up to two years.


AFP

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Mexico News

advertisement

advertisment