skip to content

  • Potter (41)
  • Williamson (60)
  • Date:2010-04-18
  • Kick-off:13:00
  • Venue:Hillsborough
  • Attendance:35485
  • Referee:Foy, C

Live Commentary


That's it, it's all over, the referee has blown the final whistle.


Lee Williamson is replaced by Glen Little.


Sheff Wed are replacing Leon Clarke with Tom Soares.


Andy Taylor is replaced by Kyle Bartley.


Goal!! Lee Williamson scores for Sheff Utd.


Eddie Nolan is booked for unsporting behaviour.


Stephen Quinn goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.


James O'Connor goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.


Andy Taylor is booked for unsporting behaviour.


James Harper is replaced by Henri Camara.


The second half is under way with the score currently at 1 v 0.


Half time whistle is blown by C Foy


Goal!! Sheff Wed have scored with Darren Potter putting it in the back of the net.


The ref has blown his whistle and the match has started.


Sheff Wed face Sheff Utd at 1pm on Sunday, April 18th.


Match Report

A Lee Williamson equaliser salvaged Sheffield pride for United but left Wednesday deep in relegation trouble as the 125th Steel City derby ended up even at 1-1.

Wednesday led through Darren Potter, but Williamson levelled with a second-half free-kick.

United were denied an early lead after ten frantic minutes when the upright saved their cross-city rivals.

A corner driven in by James Harper was met by Darius Henderson, but his badly aimed header cannoned off Owls skipper Darren Purse and smacked against the post.

Twice Jermaine Johnson was involved as Wednesday threatened on the break after the visitors hogged possession.

Johnson slipped a clever pass for Luke Varney, but he fired wide and then a cross was met with a Varney header.

An accurate clearance by keeper Steve Simonsen was headed on by Henderson and strike partner Richard Cresswell beat Mark Beevers, but angled his shot just wide.

Ex-Wednesday striker Cresswell went off with blood pouring from his face after 35 minutes following claims he was elbowed by Johnson.

With United down to ten men Wednesday cashed in the advantage and grabbed the lead five minutes from half-time when Varney's cross from the left was met by Potter, whose sidefoot volley gave Simonsen no chance seconds before Cresswell returned with his head bandaged.

Seconds before the break Wednesday went close again when Tommy Spurr's corner was met by Beevers, but he glanced a header wide.

On the hour United equalised after Eddie Nolan was booked for cutting down Stephen Quinn as the midfielder darted past him.

Williamson curled in the free-kick from 20 yards over keeper Lee Grant who drifted too far forward as the ball looped in off the post.

A deep cross from Cresswell found Henderson in the area, but his header failed to trouble Grant and when Henri Camara raced into the box, his shot hit the post and his follow-up from the rebound did the same.

United were appealing for a penalty with 12 minutes to go when Camara went down under a challenge from Purse, but the ref waived away the claims.

Twice Varney went close to a late Wednesday winner, but he was denied by Simonsen and with seconds to go Johnson blazed over from close range.

Sheffield Wednesday

Sheffield United





Goal attempts


Shots off target