skip to content

  • Clarke (43), Purse (87)
  • Lee (24), Ambrose (63)
  • Date:2010-05-02
  • Kick-off:13:00
  • Venue:Hillsborough
  • Attendance:37121
  • Referee:Dean, M

Live Commentary


The ref has blown his whistle for full time.


Sean Scannell is replaced by Claude Davis.


Goal!! Sheff Wed have scored with Darren Purse putting it in the back of the net.


Alan Lee is replaced by Stern John.


Sheff Wed are replacing Eddie Nolan with Francis Jeffers.


Sheff Wed are replacing James O'Connor with Etienne Esajas.


Goal!! Crystal Palace have scored with Darren Ambrose putting it in the back of the net.


Crystal Palace are replacing Calvin Andrew with Alassane N'Diaye.


The referee has booked Jermaine Johnson.


The second half is under way with the score currently at 1 v 1.


The ref has blown his whistle for half time.


Leon Clarke is replaced by Tom Soares.


Goal!! Sheff Wed have scored with Leon Clarke putting it in the back of the net.


The referee has booked Johannes Ertl.


Goal!! Alan Lee scores for Crystal Palace.


The referee has booked Calvin Andrew.


The ref has blown his whistle and the match has started.


Sheff Wed face Crystal Palace at 1pm on Sunday, May 2nd.


Match Report

Sheffield Wednesday will be playing League One football next season after a 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace at Hillsborough condemned the ailing Owls to relegation.

Palace required a single point to make certain of Championship survival despite having 10 points deducted.

Alan Lee gave them an early lead but Leon Clarke levelled, before Darren Ambrose restored the lead after 62 minutes.

Darren Purse levelled again four minutes from the end but it was not enough to save the Yorkshire side.

From the start Palace eased into control and looked composed. Darren Ambrose smacked a free-kick into the Wednesday wall and then forced a great save from Lee Grant with another super effort.

And after 24 minutes the visitors were in front as this time Ambrose swung over a perfect corner and striker Lee rose above the rest to power in an accurate header.

The Yorkshire side bounced back and Johnson smashed another shot that deflected wide before Mark Beevers headed straight at the keeper.

Wednesday looked for a penalty when Leon Clarke went down in the area under a Patrick McCarthy challenge.

Two minutes before half-time, Danny Butterfield was caught out under pressure from Clarke, who rounded him and clipped an accurate shot that brushed Julian Speroni's outstretched fingers but curled in.

It was Clarke's last contribution before he was stretchered of moments later with an ankle injury.

Tempers flared as the players left the pitch at half-time after a clash between Palace midfielder Shaun Derry and Wednesday's James O'Connor.

O'Connor returned after the break with his head bandaged and Derry was in the thick of it in the second half in a clash with Darren Potter, who had to take a break for stitches in a head wound.

Fourteen minutes into the second half, Wednesday came close to taking the lead when Luke Varney crashed a shot that was blocked.

But in the 62nd minute Sean Scannell drove a low cross and as Wednesday dithered Ambrose struck with an accurate shot .

In a grandstand finish, Beevers headed on at the near post and Purse pounced to slot in the equaliser.

Sheffield Wednesday

Crystal Palace





Goal attempts

Shots off target