skip to content

  • Date:2010-03-16
  • Kick-off:20:00
  • Venue:Madejski Stadium
  • Attendance:16886
  • Referee:Ward, G

Live Commentary


That's it, it's all over, the referee has blown the final whistle.


The referee has booked Grzegorz Rasiak.


Tamas Priskin is being taken off, Antonio German has come on in his place.


Gylfi Sigurdsson takes a penalty for Reading and scores!.


Matthew Connolly is booked for dissent.


The referee has booked Matt Hill.


Adel Taarabt is being taken off, Peter Ramage has come on in his place.


Mikele Leigertwood goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.


Shane Long is being taken off, Simon Church has come on in his place.


Brian Howard is replaced by Grzegorz Rasiak.


The second half is under way with the score currently at 0 v 0.


Half time whistle is blown by G Ward


It's red. He's off. Damion Stewart has been sent off.


The referee has booked Alejandro Faurlin.


Damion Stewart goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.


It's 8pm on Tuesday, March 16th, the match has kicked off.


Reading face QPR at 8pm on Tuesday, March 16th.

Match Report

A Gylfi Sigurdsson penalty five minutes from time earned Reading a 1-0 win over a QPR side that had been reduced to ten men for the whole of the second half.

The penalty came after Matt Hill tripped Gylfi Sigurdsson, earning himself a yellow card in the process.

It meant Reading extended their fine run to eight wins in their last nine games. It was Neil Warnock's first loss in four games since taking over at QPR.

Warnock's influence on Rangers was soon apparent with his side's tight marking and battling attitude making life awkward for Reading.

QPR were effective in closing down Reading's dangerous wingers Jobi McAnuff and Jimmy Kebe. But their combative style did not meet with the approval of referee Gavin Ward, who dismissed Damion Stewart a minute before the interval after showing him two yellow cards.

Stewart had already been booked for a foul on Shane Long when he baulked Reading keeper Adam Federici as he tried to make a clearance, knocking him to the ground and collecting his second card.

Mr Ward had also booked Rangers Alejandro Faurlin for a first-half foul and Rangers skipper Mikele Leigertwood and Matthew Connolly in the second half. Reading's Grzegorz Rasiak was also booked.

The pattern of the game was set right from the start with Reading winning a free-kick for a foul by Matthew Connolly on Kebe, but Sigurdsson's free-kick was comfortably saved by Carl Ikeme. Brian Howard then sent another free-kick whistling just wide of the Londoners' post.

As QPR survived Reading's pressure they began to have the better chances themselves. There was a real scare for Reading when Federici made a fine point-blank save from a Kaspars Gorkss header and the ball fell to Priskin who fired over the bar when he could have scored.

As Rangers continued to press Adel Taarabt was the next to test Federici, who then followed that with a smart save to keep out Jay Simpson.

But in the end the task of holding out Reading with only ten men proved just too much for QPR.


Queens Park Rangers





Goal attempts


Shots off target