skip to content

  • Kebe (12), McAnuff (17), Sigurdsson (72), Church (90)
  • Wallace (64)
  • Date:2010-05-02
  • Kick-off:13:00
  • Venue:Madejski Stadium
  • Attendance:19239
  • Referee:Linington, J

Live Commentary


That's it, it's all over, the referee has blown the final whistle.


Goal!! Reading have scored with Simon Church putting it in the back of the net.


Jon Parkin goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.


Shane Long is replaced by Simon Church.


Andy Griffin is replaced by Jem Karacan.


Gylfi Sigurdsson is booked for dissent.


Chris Brown is being taken off, Jamie Proctor has come on in his place.


Goal!! Reading have scored with Gylfi Sigurdsson putting it in the back of the net.


Brian Howard is replaced by Brynjar Gunnarsson.


Goal!! Ross Wallace scores for Preston.


Alex Pearce goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.


Preston are replacing Danny Mayor with Keith Treacy.


The second half is under way with the score currently at 2 v 0.


Ross Wallace is booked for unsporting behaviour.


Half time whistle is blown by J Linington


Goal!! Jobi McAnuff scores for Reading.


Barry Nicholson is being taken off, Jon Parkin has come on in his place.


Goal!! Reading have scored with Jimmy Kebe putting it in the back of the net.


It's 1pm on Sunday, May 2nd, the match has kicked off.


Reading face Preston at 1pm on Sunday, May 2nd.

Match Report

Reading ended the season on a happier note than Preston with a 4-1 win over their Lancashire rivals but will think they should have won by a bigger margin.

The Royals scored twice in the first 18 minutes and could have added more in the opening half hour, which they totally dominated.

They went ahead after just 12 minutes with one of the best goals scored at the Madejski Stadium this season.

Tricky winger Jimmy Kebe beat four Preston defenders as he cut in from the right wing before finishing his run with a clinical shot past Wayne Henderson in the Preston goal

Five minutes later, Reading added a second, this time from the left wing as Jobi McAnuff cut inside and sent his shot across the face of goal into the far corner of the net.

Preston's problems were compounded by an injury to Barry Nicholson, making his first appearance since he broke a leg against Darren Ferguson managed Peterborough in August.

Nicholson lasted just 13 minutes before limping off with what appeared to be an ankle injury.

The first threat to Reading keeper Adam Federici came 12 minutes before the break but Matt James hammered his effort into the ground to take out the sting and help Federici make the save.

Ross Wallace was desperately unlucky not to reduce the arrears midway through the second half.

A mistake by Andy Griffin allowed Wallace to run through on his own from the hallway line but, with only Federici to beat, he sent his shot thumping against the keeper's left-hand post.

He made up for it a minute later with a ferocious 30-yard free kick that rocketed past Federici for Preston's only goal.

Reading added their third 18 minutes from time after Shane Long made a dash through the Preston defence.

The ball ran to Kebe whose shot rebounded to the club's player of the season Gylfi Sigurdsson, who scored his 20th goal of the campaign.

Two minutes into injury time, Simon Church completed the scoring with a sensational long-range drive that gave Henderson no chance.


Preston North End





Goal attempts

Shots off target