skip to content

  • Carroll (20), Routledge (28)
  • Date:2010-04-19
  • Kick-off:19:45
  • Venue:Home Park
  • Attendance:13111
  • Referee:Pawson, C

Live Commentary


That's it, it's all over, the referee has blown the final whistle.


Fitz Hall is replaced by Tamas Kadar.


Plymouth are replacing Onismor Bhasera with Yannick Bolasie.


Bradley Wright-Phillips is replaced by Joe Mason.


Kevin Nolan is being taken off, Leon Best has come on in his place.


Newcastle are replacing Andy Carroll with Shola Ameobi.


The second half is under way with the score currently at 0 v 2.


Half time whistle is blown by C Pawson


Andy Carroll is booked for unsporting behaviour.


Goal!! Newcastle have scored with Wayne Routledge putting it in the back of the net.


Goal!! Newcastle have scored with Andy Carroll putting it in the back of the net.


It's 7:45pm on Monday, April 19th, the match has kicked off.


Plymouth face Newcastle at 7:45pm on Monday, April 19th.


Match Report

Newcastle United had few problems in claiming the Coca-Cola Championship title and, in the process, relegating Plymouth back to League One after six seasons in the second tier with a comfortable 2-0 win at Home Park.

The Magpies played well within themselves, but still ruthlessly disposed of their opponents as first-half goals from recalled striker Andrew Carroll and Wayne Routledge within eight minutes of each other effectively settled the fate of both sides.

However, Argyle should have taken the lead before the leaders had had time to settle.

Leading scorer Jamie Mackie was set up by Damien Johnson's cut-back on the right edge of the area, but was denied by Toon goalkeeper Steve Harper.

From Alan Judge's corner, Newcastle allowed centre-back Bondz N'gala a free header, and although the West Ham loan player met it on the full, he could not direct it on target.

The Pilgrims were made to pay for that profligacy midway through the half when Carroll, who had previously wasted a good opportunity when set up by Danny Guthrie, put Newcastle ahead.

Guthrie was again the provider, from a corner, as Carroll beat Reda Johnson with ease to send a looping header past goalkeeper David Stockdale and inside his left-hand post.

Eight minutes later, Routledge raced on to a perfect through-ball from Joey Barton to outpace Zimbabwean international full-back Onismor Bhasera and slot home from an acute angle.

To their credit, Argyle responded positively, with Mackie, Bradley Wright-Phillips and Judge all going close with long-range shots before half-time, and Judge rattled Harper's crossbar with a dipping shot after the break.

Newcastle reasserted their authority late on as the Pilgrims chased a consolation goal, and substitute Leon Best smashed a shot against the crossbar.

By and large, though, Newcastle were content to play containing football, and the near 2,500-strong Toon Army's started celebrating their return to the Premier League after a one-season stay in the Championship.

Plymouth Argyle

Newcastle United





Goal attempts


Shots off target