skip to content

  • Date:2010-02-06
  • Kick-off:15:00
  • Venue:London Road Ground
  • Attendance:8933
  • Referee:McDermid, D

Live Commentary


The ref has blown his whistle for full time.


Ryan Bennett is booked for timewasting.


Craig Mackail-Smith is being taken off, Izale McLeod has come on in his place.


George Boyd is being taken off, Lee Frecklington has come on in his place.


It's red. He's off. Peter Ramage has been sent off.


Lee Cook is replaced by Rowan Vine.


The referee has booked Peter Ramage.


Tamas Priskin is being taken off, Jay Simpson has come on in his place.


It's red. He's off. Mikele Leigertwood has been sent off.


QPR are replacing Nigel Quashie with Hogan Ephraim.


The referee has booked Josh Simpson.


The second half is under way with the score currently at 1 v 0.


Charlie Lee is replaced by Josh Simpson.


Half time whistle is blown by D McDermid


Charlie Lee goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.


Goal!! Peterborough have scored with Aaron McLean putting it in the back of the net.


It's 3pm on Saturday, February 6th, the match has kicked off.


Peterborough face QPR at 3pm on Saturday, February 6th.


Match Report

Jim Gannon enjoyed a dream start in the Peterborough United hot-seat as his new team beat troubled QPR 1-0.

A beautifully created early strike from transfer-listed frontman Aaron McLean proved to be enough to see off a Rangers side that finished the match with nine men after the second-half dismissals of skipper Mikele Leigertwood and Peter Ramage.

Former Stockport County and Motherwell chief Gannon is Posh's third boss of the season and this result meant he equals the tally of wins managed by predecessor Mark Cooper in a two-and-a-half month spell at the London Road helm.

McLean was left with the simple task of slotting home from six yards after skipper George Boyd had danced round two tackles inside the area.

It was McLean's eighth goal of the season but the first since he slapped in a transfer request in December.

McLean and strike-partner Craig Mackail-Smith posed constant problems to a shaky Rangers rearguard as the arrival of Gannon breathed hope into Posh's battle against the drop.

Goalkeeper Carl Ikeme had to dash from his line to beat Mackail-Smith to a classy Boyd pass before needing two attempts to hang on to a 20-yard blast from wing-back Chris Whelpdale.

Recalled Tommy Rowe - a man who graduated in the game at Stockport under Gannon's supervision - should have done better with a good headed opportunity while Leigertwood provided home keeper Joe Lewis' sole test of the opening period.

He was forced to make a tougher save after the interval when Matthew Connolly's drive bounced through a crowd of bodies, but Posh were still well on top.

Their grip on proceedings was strengthened when Rangers were reduced to ten men. The referee had no hesitation in pulling out a straight red card after Leigertwood had launched into a two-footed challenge on Rowe – and he wasn't alone in taking an early bath.

Ramage also received his marching orders when picking up two cautions in the space of nine minutes, both for fouls on Rowe.

Despite their numerical disadvantage Rangers piled on the pressure in the dying moments, but Posh stood firm to keep a first clean sheet for almost two months.

Peterborough United

Queens Park Rangers





Goal attempts

Shots off target