skip to content

  • Date:2010-01-30
  • Kick-off:17:20
  • Venue:The Walkers Stadium
  • Attendance:29067
  • Referee:Marriner, A

Live Commentary


That's it, it's all over, the referee has blown the final whistle.


Leicester are replacing Matt Fryatt with Nolberto Solano.


Kevin Nolan is being taken off, Fabrice Pancrate has come on in his place.


The referee has booked Matty Oakley.


Martyn Waghorn is being taken off, Steven Howard has come on in his place.


Paul Gallagher is replaced by Lloyd Dyer.


Alan Smith is replaced by Nile Ranger.


Mike Williamson is booked for unsporting behaviour.


The second half is under way with the score currently at 0 v 0.


The ref has blown his whistle for half time.


Martyn Waghorn goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.


It's red. He's off. Richie Wellens has been sent off.


Richie Wellens is booked for unsporting behaviour.


The ref has blown his whistle and the match has started.


Leicester face Newcastle at 5:20pm on Saturday, January 30th.

Match Report

Ten-man Leicester City showed tremendous energy levels to hold Championship leaders Newcastle United to a goalless draw.

The Foxes were a depleted team from the half hour mark when Richie Wellens was sent off for a second yellow card.

The midfielder was booked on 17 minutes for a foul on Alan Smith and again on 30 minutes when he held back Wayne Routledge.

The draw enabled Newcastle to match a club record of 14 league matches unbeaten. It was the first time the Magpies had achieved that unbeaten run since 1950.

The first chance fell to Newcastle when Kevin Nolan hit an angled drive into the side-netting.

City created an opening on 15 minutes when Paul Gallagher found Matt Fryatt inside the penalty area but the City striker was muscled off the ball by defender Mike Williamson.

Midway through the first half Steve Harper conjured up a finger-tip save to keep out Fryatt's 12-yard drive before Wellens was shown his red card.

Fryatt then turned Williamson on halfway and evaded four challenges on a mazy run into the penalty area where he was unfortunate to see his goalbound strike blocked by Patrick van Aanholt.

Newcastle responded with a swift break which saw Chris Weale claw away van Aanholt's carefully placed drive.

Leicester were on the offensive from the restart with a Gallagher free-kick ricocheting off the defensive wall for a corner.

United threatened soon after when Nolan headed van Aanholt's cross just over before Martyn Waghorn dragged a shot just wide for Leicester.

Andy King then tested Harper with a near-post header from a Waghorn corner with City claiming a handball by Nicky Butt.

Newcastle began to push forward as depleted Leicester tired with substitute Nile Ranger having a headed goal ruled offside and Butt crashing a drive just wide but City held their ground for a deserved point.

Leicester City

Newcastle United





Goal attempts


Shots off target