skip to content

  • Kilbane (3)
  • Paterson (35), Alexander (64 pen), Alexander (70 pen), Elliott (90)
  • Date:2010-04-10
  • Kick-off:15:00
  • Venue:Kingston Communications Stadium
  • Attendance:24369
  • Referee:Atkinson, M

Live Commentary


Burnley claim three valuable points in the battle against the drop.


Wade Elliott curls a free kick past Boaz Myhill to put the icing on the cask for Burnley.


Deiberson Geovanni goes close with a left-foot strike.


Steven Thompson replaces David Nugent for Burnley.


The fourth offical has indicated five minutes of added time.


George Boateng becomes the fifth Hull player to be booked.


Jimmy Bullard fizzes a low shot wide of the target.


Andre Bikey comes on for Burnley, replacing Steve Fletcher.


The Burnley fans are in good voice as they celebrate what should be three points.


Steven Caldwell replaces Michael Duff for Burnley.


Jozy Altidore is unable to apply the finishing touch at the far post from Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink's cross-shot.


The Hull fans are venting their frustration.


Ibrahima Sonko crosses for Hull but the danger is averted.


Steven Fletcher is caught offside from David Nugent's ball forward.


Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink replaces Craig Fagan.


Graham Alexander fires the ball into the top corner from the spot.


Burnley are awarded another penalty for a Bernard Mendy challenge on David Nugent.


Deiberson Geovanni comes on for Hull replacing Paul McShane.


From a Hull free kick George Boateng volleys wide.


Martin Paterson is booked.


Graham Alexander makes no mistake with the spot kick, smashing it to Boaz Myhill's right.


Burnley have been awarded a spot kick for what appeared to be a challenge on Michael Duff by Ibrahima Sonko.


Craig Fagan goes into the referee's notebook as well.


Bernard Mendy is shown yellow.


Brian Jensen hoofs the ball forward but Kevin Kilbane gets his head to clear for Hull.


Hull look flat at the moment.


Michael Duff shoots over the bar. He should have found the back of the net.


Tyrone Mears' free kick is deflected over for a corner.


Jimmy Bullard telegraphs his pass and Jack Cork intercepts.


Kevin Kilbane has dropped to left back for Hull.


Nicky Barmby comes on for Andy Dawson who is stretchered off.


It looks as though Dawson has injured his knee.


Andy Dawson is getting treatment after picking up anoher knock.


The referee gets the second half underway.


Hull were better for much of the first period but Martin Paterson's strike saw Burnley finish the half strongly.


Craig Fagan gets a foot in to halt a Burnley attack.


Jozy Altidore goes into the referee's notebook.


Martin Paterson clears from Jimmy Bullard's resulting corner.


Bernard Mendy wins a corner for the Tigers.


That goal has visibly boosted the Burnley players.


Martin Paterson levels terms, shooting home after turning sharply.


Tyrone Mears' looping cross is headed away by Andy Dawson.


Kevin Kilbane's back-heel can't find Jimmy Bullard.


Jozy Altidore's strike is parried. Jimmy Bullard's strike from the rebound goes over.


Ibrahima Sonko's long throw is collected by Brian Jensen.


Jimmy Bullard volleys over the bar from a Tigers free kick.


Graham Alexander is forced to put the ball out for Hull corner.


Jozy Altidore looks to turn but the ball comes off Michael Duff for a throw-in to Hull.


Andy Dawson is receiving treatment after picking up a knock.


Michael Duff and Leon Cort have both got cuts after clashing heads when defending.


David Nugent's low shot is straight at Boaz Myhill.


Tyrone Mears' drive flies into the stands.


Bernard Mendy looks to dribble into the area but can's get past the Burnley defence.


Steven Mouyokolo gets to the ball ahead of the advancing Steven Fletcher and clears.


The Tigers are pushing forward looking for a second.


Craig Fagan's cross is cleared by Graham Alexander.


Leon Cort gets to the ball ahead of Jozy Altidore allowing Burnley to go forward.


Kevin Kilbane gives Hull the lead, heading home Jozy Altidore's cross.


Brian Jensen makes a comfortable save from a Hull corner.


Referee Martin Atkinson gets this relegation clash underway.


Steven Caldwell is on the bench for Burnley after recovering from a groin injury.


Ibrahima Sonko returns for the home side.


George Boateng has recovered from concussion to start for Hull.

Match Preview

Crunch time for two teams battling relegation this season as Hull City host Burnley at the KC Stadium.

Victory for the Tigers could potentially put them back above West Ham, while a win for the Clarets could pull them level with their Humberside rivals on points.

A key factor in the game is likely to be the home advantage that Iain Dowie's men are enjoying, having claimed 23 of their 27 points this season on home turf, while Burnley remain on course to pick up the fewest points ever away from home in a Premier League season (just one so far).

Last time out at the KC Stadium Hull managed their first-ever home win by a two-goal margin, defeating Fulham 2-0, whilst Burnley have taken no points from the last 30 available on the road, hitting just one goal in this period, and have failed to score in their last four in Hull.

There will be no doubt in the minds of any player as to the importance of this game, including the Tigers' Bernard Mendy who told local press: "We need to win Saturday - no draw, no defeat, win. If we win this game we take three points and we can get out of the bottom three.

"Every game is very important but this game is like a final because of the club's chances of survival."

City could be boosted by news that George Boateng may be fit to play after his head injury last weekend and topscorer Stephen Hunt and defender Liam Cooper (both ankle) could return to action. Kamil Zayatte (knee), Antony Gardner (ankle) and Amr Zaki (knee) remain unavailable.

Stephen Jordan (knee) could return to the fold for Burnley after missing out in the 6-1 drubbing by Man City, but midfielder Chris McCann (knee) remains absent.


Match Report

Burnley came from behind to win 4-1 against fellow strugglers Hull City at the KC Stadium to claim a massive three points in the battle for Premier league survival.

Hull had the perfect start with Kevin Kilbane putting his side ahead after just three minutes, but a first-half equaliser from Martin Paterson, two second-half penalties from skipper Graham Alexander and a late Wade Elliott free-kick saw the visitors move level on points with the Tigers and four points from safety.

Hull broke the deadlock within three minutes of the kick-off as a neat pass from Craig Fagan allowed Jozy Altidore the time and space down the right to send in a pin-point cross on to the head of an unmarked Kilbane, who made no mistake at the back post with a thumping effort to register his first ever goal for the Tigers.

Hull then came close to doubling their lead on the half-hour mark as Altidore did well to turn his man inside the box and chip in a right-footed shot, but keeper Brian Jensen did well to parry the effort away.

Jimmy Bullard had a chance from the rebound, but his first-time effort saw the ball rise up and over the crossbar.

Burnley were level on 35 minutes through Paterson. Tyrone Mears found the Northern Ireland international with space inside the box and the ex-Scunthorpe man took full advantage with a turn and shot which beat Boaz Myhill and flew into the bottom left corner of the net to make it 1-1.

Michael Duff had a glorious chance for the visitors early in the second half as a cross from Paterson evaded everyone in the box and landed at the feet of the Burnley defender with time at the back post, but the Northern Ireland international failed to capitalise, sending the ball up and over the bar from eight yards.

Burnley were then awarded a penalty on 63 minutes as Ibrahima Sonko was adjudged to have brought down Duff inside the box. Captain Alexander stuck the resulting spot-kick into the bottom right corner of the net to send his side into a 2-1 lead.

Minutes later Brian Laws' side were awarded another spot-kick as Bernard Mendy was adjudged to have brought down David Nugent inside the area. Alexander converted his second penalty of the game to grab his eighth league goal of the season and make it 3-1 to the visitors.

The Clarets then made it 4-1 in injury time as Elliott caught everyone out with a superb free-kick from 20 yards which flew over the head of keeper Myhill and into the top corner of the net.

Hull City






Goal attempts


Shots off target