skip to content

  • Date:11 Sep 2010
  • Kick-off:15:00
  • Venue:Easter Road Stadium
  • Riordan (7)
  • Rooney - pen (81)

Live Commentary

91:29 +1.29

Unfair challenge on Jonathan Hayes by Derek Riordan results in a free kick. The referee shows Derek Riordan a yellow card. Free kick taken by Chris Innes.

90:50 +0.50

Jonathan Hayes takes a inswinging corner from the right by-line played to the near post, comfortable save by Mark Brown.

90:37 +0.37

Shane Sutherland takes a shot. Blocked by Souleymane Bamba.


Danni Sanchez takes a shot. Save made by Mark Brown.


Liam Miller concedes a free kick for a foul on Lee Cox. Free kick taken by Stuart Duff.


Effort on goal by Daniel Galbraith from just inside the penalty area goes harmlessly over the target.


Jonathan Hayes produces a cross, Effort on goal by Shane Sutherland from inside the area goes harmlessly over the bar.


Foul by Adam Rooney on Francis Dickoh, free kick awarded. Free kick taken by Steven Thicot.


Foul by Steven Thicot on Danni Sanchez, Penalty awarded. Steven Thicot is shown a yellow card for unsporting behaviour. Adam Rooney scores a power penalty. Hibernian 1-1 Inverness CT.


Shane Sutherland joins the action as a substitute, replacing Eric Odhiambo.


Shot from just outside the box by Jonathan Hayes goes over the bar.


Inswinging corner taken by Danni Sanchez from the left by-line.


Corner taken left-footed by Jonathan Hayes from the right by-line, clearance by Jonathan Grounds.


Corner taken right-footed by Danni Sanchez.


The ball is crossed by Daniel Galbraith, clearance by Ross Tokely.


A cross is delivered by Jonathan Hayes, clearance made by Steven Thicot.


David Wotherspoon delivers the ball, Chris Innes makes a clearance.


The ball is crossed by Daniel Galbraith, clearance by Chris Innes.


Derek Riordan is caught offside. Indirect free kick taken by Ryan Esson.


Edwin De Graaf goes off and Daniel Galbraith comes on.


Danni Sanchez is brought on as a substitute for Nick Ross.


Derek Riordan takes a shot and missed to the right of the net.


Penalty awarded for an unfair challenge on Derek Riordan by David Proctor. Booking for David Proctor for unsporting behaviour. Penalty taken by Derek Riordan and missed.


Michael Hart goes off and Steven Thicot comes on.


Colin Nish takes a shot. Save by Ryan Esson.


The ball is swung over by Jonathan Grounds.


Shot by Derek Riordan from deep inside the area bounces off the post.


Adam Rooney produces a drilled left-footed shot from inside the box and strikes the post.


Michael Hart produces a cross, Ross Tokely makes a clearance.


Corner taken by Derek Riordan from the left by-line to the near post, Unfair challenge on Chris Innes by Colin Nish results in a free kick. Free kick taken by Ryan Esson.


Free kick awarded for a foul by Lee Cox on Jonathan Grounds. Shot on goal comes in from Derek Riordan from the free kick, save made by Ryan Esson.


Colin Nish concedes a free kick for a foul on Chris Innes. Free kick taken by Ryan Esson.


Outswinging corner taken right-footed by Derek Riordan from the right by-line, Francis Dickoh gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Lee Cox. Free kick taken by Ryan Esson.


(Inverness CT) makes a substitution, with Chris Innes coming on for Kenny Gillet.


Kenny Gillet leaves the field to be replaced by Chris Innes.


Effort by David Wotherspoon from a long way out goes over the target.


David Proctor concedes a free kick for a foul on Colin Nish. Derek Riordan restarts play with the free kick.


Eric Odhiambo takes a shot. Mark Brown makes a brilliant save.


Derek Riordan takes a inswinging corner to the near post, Foul by Francis Dickoh on Ryan Esson, free kick awarded. Direct free kick taken by Ryan Esson.


Unfair challenge on Nick Ross by Colin Nish results in a free kick. Direct free kick taken by Kenny Gillet.


The ball is sent over by Jonathan Grounds, Ross Tokely makes a clearance.


Kenny Gillet concedes a free kick for a foul on David Wotherspoon. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Jonathan Grounds from right wing, blocked by Nick Ross.


Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on David Wotherspoon by Kenny Gillet. The free kick is delivered left-footed by Jonathan Grounds from right wing.


Effort on goal by Jonathan Hayes from long range goes harmlessly over the bar.


Foul by Kenny Gillet on Colin Nish, free kick awarded. Michael Hart restarts play with the free kick.


Colin Nish takes a shot. Blocked by Ross Tokely. Derek Riordan takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line to the near post, Colin Nish gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on David Proctor. Ryan Esson restarts play with the free kick.


Stuart Duff takes a inswinging corner from the left by-line played to the near post.


The assistant referee signals for offside against Derek Riordan. Ryan Esson takes the indirect free kick.


Effort on goal by David Wotherspoon from long range goes harmlessly over the target.


Effort from inside the area by Jonathan Hayes misses to the right of the target.


Corner from right by-line taken by Derek Riordan.


Inswinging corner taken by Jonathan Hayes from the right by-line played to the near post, Eric Odhiambo conjures a right-footed shot from inside the six-yard box that clears the bar.


Jonathan Grounds challenges Jonathan Hayes unfairly and gives away a free kick. Centre by Jonathan Hayes, Grant Munro has a header from close in and clears the crossbar.


Derek Riordan scores a goal from inside the penalty area to the bottom right corner of the goal. Hibernian 1-0 Inverness CT.Colin Nish provided the assist for the goal.


Jonathan Hayes takes the inswinging corner, David Proctor produces a header from deep inside the six-yard box that clears the bar.


Nick Ross fouled by Kevin McBride, the ref awards a free kick. Kenny Gillet takes the free kick.


Derek Riordan has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the goal.

The match gets underway.

The ref blows to signal half-time.

The referee blows his whistle to start the second half.

The final whistle goes and the game is over.

Match Preview

Trio in line for Bibs debuts Francis Dickoh, Jonathan Grounds and Darryl Duffy could make their debuts as Hibernian entertain Inverness at Easter Road, with manager John Hughes having a full squad to choose from. Dickoh, who signed from FC Utrecht, Grounds and Duffy - on loan from Middlesbrough and Bristol Rovers respectively - all come into contention as Hibs seek to end a six-game run without a win at Easter Road. Goalkeeper Graham Stack has returned to full training following a back injury. Manager Hughes believes his Hibernian side are ready to return to winning ways. Hibs beat Motherwell in their first game of the season before losing to Rangers and St Mirren, but Hughes anticipates the new signings will give his side added impetus following the international break. "They're itching to go," said Hughes, who guided Hibs to fourth place last season. "There's a real edge to the training and I can't ask for any more than what they've given us. "Hopefully we can start turning that into performances consistently. "If we can play like we did for an hour against Rangers, second half against Motherwell and put that together for 90 minutes, that's when we're at our best. "If we can do that on Saturday and get it consistently throughout the season, then who knows? "We could repeat the success we had last year." New Inverness signing Stuart Duff goes straight into the squad. The former Aberdeen midfielder signed on until the end of the season at the Tulloch Caledonian Stadium, after trial periods at St Mirren and St Johnstone in the summer. However Inverness boss Terry Butcher is still minus Richie Foran (knee) and Gil Blumenshtein (calf), and Kevin McCann is unable to play due to the terms of his loan deal from the Easter Road club. Inverness midfielder Lee Cox believes the excitement surrounding the club`s return to the top flight can help Caley Thistle to another shock away win. The Irn-Bru First Division champions are looking to follow their 4-0 victory at Dundee United with a result against Hibs. Terry Butcher`s side have lost both of their home games by a solitary goal but they have not been beaten in a league game away from home since November last year. Cox, who signed from Leicester last summer, is relishing each new experience in the Clydesdale Bank Premier League and is confident of turning that positive energy into points in Edinburgh. "We've got a lot of positives to take from the start of the season, we played really well at Dundee United but not so much against Hamilton with that early goal killing us," the 20-year-old said. "We've got to happy because we've played well in the game as Celtic as well. "I'm really enjoying it at the minute, every Saturday brings some excitement and it's helped by a great atmosphere in training, which has been good in the last few days. "Everyone has been upbeat and just waiting for the next challenge."

Match Report

Mixed day for Riordan Derek Riordan scored and missed a penalty as Hibernian failed to bring an end to a six-month winless run at Easter Road thanks to Inverness striker Adam Rooney's late spot-kick that secured a 1-1 draw. Riordan put Hibs ahead in the eighth minute as they began life without Anthony Stokes in encouraging fashion, but the striker was made to rue a 66th-minute penalty miss as battling Inverness claimed a Clydesdale Bank Premier League point. Terry Butcher's side had already hit the woodwork through Rooney, before the striker made no mistake with his spot-kick eight minutes from time to snatch a draw in an entertaining game. John Hughes' men saw their winless streak at home stretch to eight games and were booed off at the finish. Hughes made four alterations from the side defeated by St Mirren. Out went Stokes, now at Celtic, with captain Chris Hogg, Ian Murray and Steven Thicot all benched. Michael Hart and Kevin McBride were restored with new signings Jonathan Grounds and Francis Dickoh handed their debuts. Butcher rang two changes from the team that lost to Hamilton. Russell Duncan and on-loan Kevin McCann, ineligible against his own side, missed out with Ross Tokely and new signing Stuart Duff brought in. The visitors began positively, enjoying possession, but Hibs broke upfield to register the first shot as Riordan skewed wide. Inverness responded with a Jonny Hayes corner that David Proctor headed over. The hosts, though, were finding their feet and in the sixth minute Edwin de Graaf played in Riordan who looked set to round Ryan Esson before the goalkeeper brilliantly clawed the ball away from the striker. However, on eight minutes, it was to prove third time lucky for Riordan as he grabbed his first goal of the season. Grounds and David Wotherspoon combined well on the left and the ball broke to Colin Nish on the 18-yard line. The forward quickly fed his partner Riordan, who nutmegged Grant Munro, before drilling the ball low across Esson and into the right-hand corner. The Highlanders regrouped and Hayes' free-kick was nodded wide by Munro. The dangerous Hayes then held off Grounds on the right flank before striking the side-netting. As the contest ebbed and flowed, Wotherspoon tried his luck from 20 yards and curled just wide. Riordan then scampered down the right flank to collect a loose ball, squaring for Nish who saw his effort deflected wide. Butcher's side were still very much in the match and, six minutes from half-time, their big chance came. Eric Odhiambo cut back from the by-line and Rooney seemed destined to score from six yards, only for Brown to make a point-blank stop from his shot. Inverness made a change at the break, Chris Innes replacing Kenny Gillet. Riordan soon went close to doubling the advantage, his free-kick arcing for the top left-hand corner only for Esson to palm over. But Caley Thistle, 2-1 winners on their last visit to Easter Road in November 2008, came within inches of levelling matters in the 55th minute. Nick Ross' reverse pass put Rooney away on the left flank and his fierce angled strike looked net-bound until it smacked back off the top of the near post. Inverness had their tails up and only an overhit Rooney pass prevented Odhiambo racing clear on goal, before Brown dropped a Tokely cross and Hayes couldn't capitalise. Hibs, though, should have been two ahead two minutes after the hour. Liam Miller played a central pass through to Nish who was brilliantly blocked out by Esson. The ball broke to De Graaf but somehow the Dutchman blazed over an open goal from eight yards. Hibs quickly passed up another glorious chance when Proctor clipped Riordan in the area and referee Crawford Allan pointed for a penalty. Riordan dusted himself down but struck the right-hand post with his spot-kick. A rash of substitutes interrupted play and it was two replacements who were at the centre of Inverness' 82nd-minute equaliser. Thicot, on for Hart at right-back, clipped the on-rushing Inverness sub Danni Sanchez and Rooney was handed the task from the penalty spot. The Irishman made no mistake as he lashed past a despairing Brown. Hayes then whipped in a great cross that another Inverness sub, Shane Sutherland, knocked over with the goal gaping. Hibs thought they had won it three minutes into stoppage time but Wotherspoon was flagged offside after netting.