skip to content

  • Paterson (31)
  • Piquionne (25), Yebda (76 pen)
  • Date:2010-02-27
  • Kick-off:15:00
  • Venue:Turf Moor
  • Attendance:19714
  • Referee:Clattenburg, M

Live Commentary


Full-time: BURNLEY 1 - 2 PORTSMOUTH: Bottom of the table Portsmouth hold onto the win.


Another corner for Burnley is whipped in by Fox, but headed down into the arms of James. Could that be it?


The resulting corner finds the head of Cort, only for his effort to go wide of the goal.


Burnley free-kick is whipped in by Fox towards the far post and it is headed over by a Pompey defender. Corner to the home side.


Papa Bouba Diop replaces Webber for Pompey.


The resulting free-kick is taken by Mears and blocked by Portsmouth before they hook the ball away.


Rocha is shown his second yellow card as he brings down Cork on the edge of the penalty area.


Four minutes will be played at the end of this game.


The impressive O'Hara is replaced by Michael Brown for the away side.


Free-kick for Burnley is whipped in by Fox, only for James to collect it with ease under very little pressure.


The home side are running out of time now, can they produce a moment of magic to secure a draw?


Paterson then has a chance to get a shot away, but his weak effort is comfortably saved by James.


Thompson wins a header and guides it into the path of Eagles, but Hreidarsson gets there first and hacks the ball away.


19,714 is the attendance inside Turf Moor this afternoon.


Rocha is shown a yellow card for bringing down Eagles as the Burnley winger pushed forward.


Burnley have lost only one of their last seven home games, but they need someone to step up if they are to get a draw today.


Wilson is booked for time wasting before taking a free-kick.


The home side really need to get something from this game.


Brian Laws makes his final change of the game as Steven Thompson replaces Blake.


Burnley need a big effort to get themselves back into this game now. The crowd has gone quiet.


Portsmouth are playing with confidence now as O'Hara forces an excellent save from Jensen with his long range effort.


BURNLEY 1 - 2 PORTSMOUTH: The away side take the lead as YEBDA slots the penalty past Jensen.


Carlisle is booked for the foul.


The away side come forward for the first time in ages and manage to win a penalty as Carlisle fouls his man again.


Avram Grant might well consider making a substitution soon as his side haven't been an attacking threat for a while now.


Fletcher is down after banging his head with a Pompey defender and will take a moment to compose himself before carrying on.


Eagles shows great skill to set Burnley on their way, but nobody gets in enough space to get a shot away and Portsmouth clear.


Portsmouth may well be unbeaten in their last 10 meetings with Burnley, but they will know that in their situation, a draw is no good at all.


Mears works his way down the right wing and chips the ball towards the back post where James is waiting to punch away.


Fox does well to cut inside and get a shot away, only for James to dive to his right and gather the ball.


Kevin McDonald hooks the ball forward towards Paterson who is pushed off the ball by Hreidarsson, but the referee deems the challenge as fair.


The home side are on top at the moment, but can they make the pressure count by getting themselves ahead?


Eagles looks to run at the Portsmouth defence and does so with purpose before his cross is cut out and cleared by Hreidarsson.


The home side make a second change as Bikey is replaced by Jack Cork.


Burnley make their first change as Chris Eagles comes on to replace Elliott.


Burnley continue to attack through Fletcher who watches on as his shot is blocked well by Ricardo Rocha.


Elliot collects the ball in plenty of space, but with plenty of options, he fails to find Fletcher in the middle with his lofted pass.


Paterson produces a super cross from the right wing to find the head of Fletcher, but he manages to head the ball over from 5 yards.


Blake knocks the ball into the path of Paterson, but the striker fails to get it under control and the away side are able clear away.


Elliot does really well to take on two Portsmouth players, but he eventually loses possession before he is able to get a cross in.


Elliot is caught in possession and Portsmouth are able to push forward through O'Hara who watches on as his cross is claimed by Jensen.


O'Hara steps up to take the penalty, but Jensen does superbly to save as Burnley clear their lines.


The away side win a penalty as Carlisle takes Piquionne down in the penalty area.


The resulting corner is taken towards the near post onto the head of Utaka who heads wide.


Piquionne bursts through on goal after beating the offside trap before Carlisle slides in to concede the corner.


Portsmouth hit Burnley on the counter attack through the pace of Utaka who is tackled at the last moment by Fox.


Paterson beats the offside trap and races towards goal before squaring to Elliot who forces a good save from James.


Both managers may well consider a change in the next ten minutes or so as they look to make something happen.


O'Hara collects the ball off Finnan before curling a decent cross into the area which Clarke Carlisle heads away.


Danny Fox has plenty of time to pick a a pass as Burnley push forward, but he gives the ball away under no pressure at all.


Portsmouth play the ball around nicely before a dangerous cross from O'Hara is cleared as far as Yebda who is robbed of possession by Hreidarsson.


The early indications in this second half are that Bikey is man marking O'Hara after the midfielder pulled all the strings in the opening 45 minutes.


O'Hara shows great skill to get away from two players, but the ball eventually runs out of play and the move breaks down.


The second half is underway with both teams knowing that the next goal will be crucial in this game. Both sides will fancy three points.


BURNLEY 1 - 1 PORTSMOUTH: The referee blows up for half-time with the teams on level terms.


Utaka gets another chance to threaten the Burnley goal, but his effort from distance goes comfortably over the bar.


Tyrone Mears intervenes at the perfect time for Burnley as O'Hara looks to finds Utaka on the wing.


O'Hara has been the away side's best player by far in this opening half, but he isn't having much luck with his shots at goal.


The ball falls to O'Hara on the edge of the box, but his effort goes over the bar. Decent effort though.


There is a mad scramble in the Burnley penalty area as O'Hara and Webber have shots blocked before the home defence manage to hack the ball out of play.


The away side are forced into an early change as John Utaka replaces Owusu-Abeyie.


Fletcher swings the ball into the Portsmouth penalty area, only for Hreidarsson to get there ahead of everyone else to clear the danger.


O'Hara shows good skill to beat his man, but his eventual pass towards Yebda is overhit and goes out of play.


Wade Elliott exchanges passes with Blake before testing James with a low shot which the England keeper manages to hold on to.


There is no doubt that the home side are on top at the moment though and they would love to nick another goal to go ahead during this spell.


This game has certainly been end to end and it is anybody's guess as to what might happen next.


Burnley push forward straight from the kick off and manage to win a free-kick which Blake takes and fires wide.


BURNLEY 1 - 1 PORTSMOUTH: The home side get themselves back on level terms as PATERSON fires the ball into the net from just inside the area.


Kevin McDonald's knocks in a dangerous cross which James has to tip over the bar. From the result corner, Pompey manage to clear their lines.


Burnley look to hit straight back, but Fletcher's shot from inside the area goes flying over the bar. Should have at least hit the target.


Portsmouth have won only one of their last 26 Premier League away games, so this would be a huge victory for them if they can hold on.


The away side push forward again through Hassan Yebda who fires a shot just wide from inside the penalty area.


The away side had threatend that goal and they probably deserve the lead. How will Burnley respond?


BURNLEY 0 - 1 PORTSMOUTH: The away side take the lead as Piquionne gets on the end of a Webber cross to slot home.


F;eycher is caught offside after a clever ball through from Blake. He just needed to time his run better.


Both teams have had their chances so far, but the finishing has been disappointing and neither keeper has been overly troubled.


Owusu-Abeyie fires a shot at goal after a neat Portsmouth move, but Jensen is there to gather the ball.


The home side attempt to knock the ball long once again, but Fletcher is penalised for fouling Hermann Hreidarsson as he jumps to head the ball.


Burnley have certainly come into the game a lot more in the last few minutes.


Burnley knock the ball into the Pompey penalty area again only for Andre Bikey to head the ball wide after getting ahead of his marker.


Burnley come close again as Paterson moves past two Portsmouth players before his floated cross fails to find an attacking player.


Brian Jensen launches the ball forward towards Fletcher who flicks the ball before Paterson forces a save from James with his snap shot.


That will act as a warning for the home side as there is no doubt that Portsmouth are the better side at the moment.


Portsmouth get the ball into the net as Webber flicks it in from a corner, but it is disallowed for offside.


O'Hara works his way into space and almost gets a shot away, but opts to square the ball to Piquionne who loses it to Leon Cort.


Marc Wilson looks to spread the play as Portsmouth move forward, but Owusu-Abeyie is caught offside and the move breaks down.


Webber manages to latch onto the loose ball and moves into the penalty area before dragging his shot comfortably wide.


Burnley don't have the best record against today's opponents, in fact, it is 28 years to the day that the Clarets last beat Portsmouth.


Danny Webber collects the ball off O'Hara as he moves down the left wing, but the former Manchester United player's cross doesn't find a team mate in the area.


Portsmouth seem as though they will be looking to hit Burnley on the counter-attack this afternoon and the home defence will have to be on their toes.


Quincy Owusu-Abeyie finds some space on the right hand side, but the ball runs out of play before he gets it under complete control.


Robbie Blake breaks forward with the ball for the home side and he chips a dangerous ball into the box which Steve Finnan manages to hook away.


Frederic Piquionne does well to work his way into the Burnley penalty area, before Andre Bikey clears as far as Jamie O'Hara who shoots wide from 30 yards out.


Leon Cort clips a free-kick forward into the Portsmouth half and Steven Fletcher flicks it on towards Martin Paterson, but David James get their first.


The away side have a hige battle on their hands though as they became the first Premier League team to enter administration on Friday and will be deducted 9 points.


They are underway at Turf Moor in a match between two teams battling to stay in the Premier League this season.

Match Preview

If Burnley are to avoid an immediate return to the Championship, victory against hapless Portsmouth at Turf Moor on Saturday would appear to be a necessity.

The Clarets have only taken one point from a possible 42 on offer away from home but still have hopes of staying up thanks to a home record that has seen them lose only twice in 12 matches.

Pompey's imminent move into administration has effectively consigned them to the drop so there are now only two relegation places to be filled and Burnley will be confident that they could still survive.

Sunday's 5-2 defeat at Aston Villa showed all their frailties away from Turf Moor as they competed well with Martin O'Neill's team for long periods only to be undone by a dreadful 12-minute second-half spell when they conceded four goals.

The Villa Park loss followed on from a 3-0 humbling at Fulham but they can take heart from the fact that only Chelsea and Wigan Athletic have beaten them on home soil.

In December at Fratton Park, second-half goals by Hermann Hreidarsson and Aruna Dindane helped Pompey beat Saturday's opponents 2-0, one of only four victories they have secured in a disastrous campaign both on and off the pitch.

Although the decision to move into administration would appear to have saved the club, the south coast side could now head into freefall with stabilisation in the Championship next term a necessity.

Despite reaching the quarter-finals of the FA Cup, and winning through the same stage of the Carling Cup earlier in the season before being beaten by Aston Villa, Pompey have not won in the league since Christmas.


Match Report

Portsmouth may have committed financial suicide as they went into administration, but it was Burnley who committed football suicide by losing 2-1 at Turf Moor to the crisis club.

Clarets skipper Clarke Carlisle may well be the brainiest professional in the game, but he showed a distinct lack of ability in his defending as poor challenges conceded two second-half penalties.

Any doubts that Portsmouth's financial plight would affect their performance were quickly dispelled and the visitors were unlucky not to take an early lead when from a short corner striker Danny Webber glanced the ball into the net, but was unfortunate to see his effort ruled out for offside.

Webber then turn provider for the opening goal as his cross come shot was turned in at the far post by Frederic Piquionne.

Burnley's response came as strikers Robbie Blake and Steven Fletcher linked up, but the Scotland forward blazed over the crossbar.

The home side equalised when a long ball downfield from goalkeeper Brian Jensen was flicked on by Fletcher for Martin Paterson to coolly lob the ball over the stranded David James.

Portsmouth substitute John Utaka created an opportunity with his first touch, but midfielder Jamie O'Hara was unfortunate to see his effort strike the crossbar.

Portsmouth should have gone in front when they were awarded a penalty by referee Mark Clattenburg as Carlisle needlessly brought down Piquionne, but O'Hara's spot-kick was beaten away by Jensen diving to his left.

Burnley should have taken advantage of that reprieve as Paterson got to the byline down the right and crossed to the edge of the six-yard box, but Fletcher put his header over the crossbar.

Pompey were then awarded a second penalty as Carlisle hesitated after receiving a throw-in inside the penalty area and was penalised for bringing down Utaka.

This time the spot-kick was taken by Hassan Yebda and he made no mistake by calmly placing his left-foot effort inside Jensen's left-hand upright.

Portsmouth had to play the last few minutes with ten men after defender Ricardo Rocha received a second yellow card, but the visitors held firm to deservedly collect the three points.







Goal attempts


Shots off target