skip to content

Wayne Rooney claims Scotland Yard have contacted him over News of the World phone hacking scandal

29 Apr 2011 00:30:13

Wayne Rooney claims Scotland Yard have contacted him over News of the World phone hacking scandal

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has been contacted by detectives investigating the News of the World phone-hacking scandal. The England international wrote on Twitter he was surprised that it 'looks like a newspaper have (sic) hacked into my phone'. Rooney's wife Coleen also tweeted: 'Newspapers hacking into phones!! Desperate and Disgusting!!!! X' A Scotland Yard spokesman was unable to confirm that a meeting had taken place but said it was 'up to him' what he wrote on the website. Wayne Rooney took to Twitter to talk about his visit from Scotland Yard Coleen's reaction: His wife took to Twitter just two minutes after him to express her frustration The inquiry into whether the striker had his voicemails intercepted by the Sunday tabloid comes after reports earlier this month that Rooney's agent, Paul Stretford, was considering legal action over the affair. Three journalists at the paper have been arrested since the Metropolitan Police reopened their inquiry into claims that staff hacked into the answerphone messages of celebrities and politicians. A host of high-profile names who have made claims against the News of the World, including actress Sienna Miller and former culture secretary Tessa Jowell, have received apologies from the newspaper. Wayne Rooney: The football star is believed to be about to start legal proceedings against News of the World over the alleged hacking It has been estimated that News International has set aside ?20 million for payouts. Scotland Yard has endured repeated criticism over its handling of the original phone-hacking inquiry, which led to the conviction of News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire in 2007. he paper's former editor, Andy Coulson, resigned as Prime Minister DavidCameron's director of communications in January as he admitted the ongoing row about the affair was making his job impossible. Days later the Met launched a fresh investigation, codenamed Weeting, after receiving 'significant new information' from News International. The striker, who served a two-match suspension for a four-letter outburst to TV cameras at West Ham earlier this month, spoke of his 'big surprise' after meeting police. Under his Twitter username @wazzaroon08, he wrote: 'Scotland Yard detectives came to see me earlier and showed me some documents, looks like a newspaper have hacked into my phone.?Bigsurprise?.' A News of the World spokeswoman said there were no imminent plans to comment.  Neville gets OK to stage testimonial just before Champions League finalA Roo-yal wedding! United star poses as Prince William ahead of the big dayAll the latest Manchester United news, features and opinion  Explore more:People: Clive Goodman, Wayne Rooney, Paul Stretford, Andy Coulson, Tessa Jowell, Sienna Miller, David Cameron Places: United Kingdom Organisations: Scotland Yard


Daily_Mail

Sponsored links