United won't move for Campbell
UNITED will not be offering Sol Campbell a Premier League lifeline at Old Trafford. Reports said the 35-year-old ex-Arsenal and England centre-back was a shock target for Sir Alex Ferguson as a result of the deep defensive injury crisis at Old Trafford, suggesting the Reds were ready to offer the free agent a short-term deal until the end of the season. And the defender, keen to kick-start his career again, had hoped United would consider taking a chance on him. He said: "I have heard nothing officially from Manchester United, but there have been suggestions and, of course, it would be a great move for me, if it happens. I shall just have to wait and see if a call comes through the right channels. "Of course, I would love to play for Manchester United, but I am not counting any chickens, just waiting to see what happens. I am training as usual at Arsenal, and would go to train at Manchester United if I was asked." But M.E.N. Sport understands the club were dumbfounded at the stories and have dismissed the chance of a deal completely. Patched up United United returned from a successful Champions League trip to Wolfsburg, despite being forced to name a makeshift line-up due to eight first-team casualties in defence, to news that Campbell had been targeted to answer the rearguard SOS. Defenders Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic, Wes Brown, Jonny Evans, John O'Shea, Gary Neville, Fabio, Rafael and Ritchie De Laet were all unavailable for the final Group B match in Germany. But United won through with a patched up defensive line up of Ji-sung Park, Darren Fletcher, Michael Carrick and Patrice Evra. Vidic and De Laet, at least will be available for Saturday's Old Trafford tea-time league match against Aston Villa. But with O'Shea and Evans both out until the New Year and no return date yet pencilled in for Ferdinand, the Campbell story fitted the bill. It would have been a move similar to Fergie's decisions to plunge for the likes of Laurent Blanc, Henrik Larsson and Michael Owen. The defender has been training with Arsenal since quitting League Two club Notts County in September less than a month after his shock move to Meadow Lane. Campbell had signed a five-year deal but walked out after just one game against Morecambe. Should United have signed Sol Campbell? Have your say.
Related Manchester United News