United cancel tour game
Manchester United have called off the Indonesian leg of their Far East tour following two bomb blasts at tourist hotels in Jakarta. United arrived in Kuala Lumpur on Friday morning to news of the explosions in the Indonesian capital, one of which took place at the Ritz-Carlton, the hotel the Red Devils were to be staying at for four nights from Saturday. At least nine people have been killed and 50 injured in the attacks on two luxury hotels in Jakarta. The Foreign Office said it had no indication of any British casualties. After seeking advice from various parties, including the Foreign Office, Sir Alex Ferguson's side confirmed they would not be flying to Jakarta. "Following the explosions in Jakarta - one of which was at the hotel the team were due to stay in - and based on advice received, the directors have informed the Indonesian FA that the club cannot fulfil the fixture in Jakarta on the 2009 Asia tour," said a club statement. United were to play an Indonesia Super League XI on 20th July. The match had been a 100,000 sell-out. The club must now decide how to reorganise the tour. "We are working on a revised itinerary outside Indonesia with the promoters and we will make a further announcement when these decisions have been made," continued the statement. "We are deeply disappointed at not being able to visit Indonesia and thank the Indonesian FA and our fans for their support. "Our thoughts go to all those affected by the blasts." Speaking at a press conference on Friday morning in Kuala Lumpur, Ferguson said: "We got the news as we landed and it is very disappointing. I have never been to Indonesia before and I know the Indonesian FA have worked very hard on this. "It is terrible news but we have taken what I believe to be the right decision in terms of safeguarding our players." United's chief executive David Gill said: "We have taken the appropriate advice. We have met with the British High Commission who are highly experienced in these matters. "It is not a decision we have taken lightly." Gill was asked if advice about potential trouble was given to the club prior to the start of the pre-season trip to the Far East. Gill said: "We were aware of the situation but we spoke to the right people and received the correct advice."
Related Manchester United News