Top Five Contenders for Next Year's Premier League Golden Boot
Manchester United’s Dutchman Robin Van Persie secured the Golden Boot last year after his controversial transfer from North London, scoring 26 league goals. He faced strong opposition from Luis Suarez and Gareth Bale but eventually secured the prize quite comfortably. However, with age not on his side and a quality assortment of strikers linked with moves to the Premier League, will RVP be able to hold onto his crown? Below is a list of 5 players that could take the title away from him.
1. Edinson Cavani – The 26 year-old Uruguayan has been strongly linked with a move from Italy to England, with both Chelsea and Manchester City seemingly prepared to splash the cash in an attempt to secure one of the world’s best strikers. The former Palermo man scored 29 league goals for Napoli last season and with potential providers being Jesus Navas, David Silva, Eden Hazard or Juan Mata he is a real contender to top the league’s goalscoring charts.
2. Gareth Bale – The ex-Southampton midfielder stunned the league in the second half of last season with a series of electrifying performances, including 2 goals away at West Ham in a dramatic late 3-2 victory. The Welshman bagged 21 league goals for Tottenham last season, but the majority came in the second half of the season, catapulting him into the race for the Golden Boot and into the hearts of the media who elected him for 3 major prizes. Bale is incredibly still only 23 and will back himself to score 30 league goals next season for Tottenham.
3. Gonzalo Higuain – If his protracted transfer to Arsenal does indeed go through, then he will no doubt be up there in the goalscoring charts, such is his ability and class in front of goal. Since his La Liga debut in 2007, only Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have scored more goals in that league, and with Santi Cazorla and Theo Walcott among those to potentially assist him, he could score bucket-loads in the Premier League next season.
4. Robert Lewandowski – Since Borussia Dortmund reinforced that they would not be selling the powerful Pole to fellow Bundesliga club Bayern Munich, there has been heightened speculation that Lewandowski’s future may lie in England. Manchester United, Manchester City and Chelsea all possess the financial clout to afford him and with his tremendous goalscoring record internationally, nationally, and in Europe, he could top the charts next season for whichever English club sign him.
5. Wayne Rooney – The much-loved and much-loathed Englishman handed in a transfer request at current club Manchester United in May and has since been strenuously linked with moves to either Chelsea or Arsenal. At either club, Rooney would most probably become the spearhead of their respective attacking forces, and as such could flourish, rather than having to contend with playing second fiddle to superstar Robin Van Persie. If Rooney does secure a transfer to another top team, expect him to find himself in the goals.
Who else could challenge for the Golden Boot next season? Or will Van Persie win it again? Have your say in the comments below.
Related Manchester United News