- Manchester United News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Ten things Braga that Man Utd need to know
Ten things you should know about Manchester United’s Champions League opponents
1. Sporting de Braga, or just Braga, is a Portuguese sports club from the city of Braga.
2. Braga play at the AXA Stadium, also known as The Quarry, which was built for UEFA European Championships in 2004.
3. The fans of Braga are known as Arsenalistas due to their team home kit which resembles that of English giants Arsenal.
4. In 1947 they won the Second division title, reaching the First division for the first time. Braga even renamed their youth team Arsenal de Braga.
5. Back in the 1960s and 1970s, Braga began to climb up the Portuguese league ladder and eventually participated in the UEFA Competitions.
6. Braga played Portsmouth in a UEFA Cup clash in 2009 – a game that proved to be Harry Redknapp’s last as manager of Pompey before he moved to Spurs.
7. In the 2010–2011 season, Braga made their UEFA Champions League debut at home in a 3–0 win against Celtic in the first leg of the third qualifying round.
8. In the 2012–13 season, Braga played for the second time in the group stage of the Champions League, after eliminating Udinese in the play-off round.
9. The emblem of Sporting de Braga is the city of Braga's shield with Mother Mary and baby Jesus with the blue from the city's shield changed to red.
10. Sporting de Braga are currently sponsored by Italian sportswear company Macron.
Related Manchester United News