Manchester United v Chelsea: Head-to-Head Facts
Fevzi Hussein looks back at some of the previous meetings and some of the more interesting facts around the stars who are sure to make the headlines.
* These two teams have played each other a total of 141 times in the league with Manchester United shading the wins by 59 to 40. There have been a total of 42 draws.
* Since the Premiership began in the 1992/93 season they have played each other a total of 41 times and are currently tied with 13 wins each.
* Utd’s biggest victory over Chelsea at home was back in 1960 where they beat the blues 6-0.
* Chelsea have managed only one clean sheet in their last 17 trips to Old Trafford.
* Chicharito, otherwise known as Javier Hernandez, loves playing against Chelsea and has bagged a goal in six of his last eight outings against the blues so anyone looking for a first goal-scorer should look no further (that is if Sir Alex plays him ahead of RvP).
* Robin Van Persie’s recent barren spell where he went ten games without a goal is now well behind him as he has scored 6 goals in his last 4 games including a brilliant hatrick against Aston Villa in their previous home match.
* Frank Lampard is currently stuck on 201 goals for Chelsea, just one behind Bobby Tambling’s record of 202 goals, who is still Chelsea’s all-time leading goal scorer.
* The last six meetings between these clubs have yielded an impressive 29 goals which averages out at nearly 5 goals a game.
* Manchester United have scored in 66 successive home games, which is a Premiership record.
* Chelsea’s last league victory at Old Trafford was back in 2009 when they won 2-1 thanks to goals from Didier Drogba and Joe Cole.
So, based on the above, my pundits pick for Sunday’s crunch game is a 3-2 victory to Chelsea with Chicharito bagging a brace for Sir Alex Ferguson’s team and Frank Lampard scoring the winner from a free-kick to equal Bobby Tambling's record as Chelsea’s all time highest goal-scorer. Either way, I am sure footie fans will be in for a treat.
Related Manchester United News