- Manchester United News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Ferguson shocked by Jakarta blasts
Published : 17 Jul 2009 11:24:00Rss feed
Sir Alex Ferguson has spoken of his shock at the bomb blasts in Jakarta that have forced Manchester United to cancel a friendly match in the Indonesian capital. At least nine people have been killed and 50 injured in the attacks on two luxury hotels in Jakarta, including the Ritz-Carlton where United had been due to stay for four nights from Saturday. As a result United cancelled Monday's friendly against an Indonesian XI and Ferguson said: "It is terrible news but we have taken what I believe to be the right decision in terms of safeguarding our players." He added: "We got the news as we landed and it is very disappointing. I have never been to Indonesia before and I know the Indonesian FA have worked very hard on this." United's chief executive David Gill said: "We have taken the appropriate advice. We have met with the British High Commission who are highly experienced in these matters. "It is not a decision we have taken lightly." Gill was asked if advice about potential trouble was given to the club prior to the start of the pre-season trip to the Far East. Gill said: "We were aware of the situation but we spoke to the right people and received the correct advice."
Related Manchester United News