- Manchester United News
- League Table
- News Archive
- Premier League News
Ferguson: Rooney has apologised
22 Oct 2010 - 14:15:17
Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed Wayne Rooney apologised to himself and his Manchester United team-mates before agreeing a five-year contract.
Rooney has completed an astonishing U-turn after agreeing to stay at Old Trafford until summer 2015 just two days after stating his intention to leave the club.
The 24-year-old striker appeared to question both the commitment of the club and the quality of some of his team-mates in an astonishing statement on Wednesday.
But after settling his differences with the club and pledging his future for the next five years, Ferguson has revealed that Rooney has also apologised for his comments.
"Wayne has apologised to me and the players," Ferguson told Key103. "He will also do so with the supporters."
Rooney's task of winning over the supporters he alienated with his statement earlier in the week is likely to be a tougher task.
A group of 30 supporters seeking answers had to be dispersed from outside the striker's Cheshire home on Thursday night by police.
An ankle injury picked up in training will keep him Rooney of action when United travel to Stoke City for a Premier League game on Sunday.
He is expected to be sidelined for three weeks, but Rooney is keen to win back the support of the Old Trafford crowd.
"I am signing a new deal in the absolute belief that the management, coaching staff, board and owners are totally committed to making sure United maintains its proud winning history - which is the reason I joined the club in the first place," he said.
"I am sure the fans over the last week have felt let down by what they have read and seen. But my position was from concern over the future.
"The fans have been brilliant with me since I arrived and it's up to me through my performances to win them over again."