skip to content

Fergie requests FA hearing after denying charge

01 Feb 2013 19:16:58

Fergie requests FA hearing after denying charge

Alex Ferguson has requested a Football Association hearing after denying a misconduct charge over his controversial criticism of a linesman following Manchester United's recent draw at Tottenham.

United manager Ferguson was hit with the FA charge after slamming assistant referee Simon Beck in the immediate aftermath of the 1-1 draw at White Hart Lane last month.

Ferguson was angry United weren't given a penalty for a foul on Wayne Rooney midway through the second half and Tottenham went on to snatch a late equaliser.

"It was a clear decision. And he (Beck) was 10, maybe 12 yards away from the incident and he doesn't give it. And yet he gave everything else," Ferguson said at the time.

Ferguson claimed United had "history" with Beck following the official's failure to rule out a Didier Drogba goal for offside at Old Trafford in 2010, in a match that proved pivotal in that season's title race.

"There was no way we were going to get a decision from (Beck)," Ferguson said.

But the Scot denies he was guilty of misconduct and the FA will now decide a date for the hearing into the incident in due course.

"Sir Alex Ferguson has denied an FA charge of misconduct in relation to post-match media comments made following Manchester United's game at Tottenham Hotspur on Sunday 20 January 2013," the FA said in a statement on Friday.

"It is alleged the Manchester United manager breached FA Rule E3 in that he implied that the match official was motivated by bias.

"Ferguson has requested a paper hearing, the date of which will be set in due course."


AFP

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Manchester United News

advertisement

advertisment