skip to content

David Beckham will make full recovery, says Manchester United's Gary Neville

22 Mar 2010 10:24:52

David Beckham will make full recovery, says Manchester United's Gary Neville

David Beckham is out of the World Cup 2010 and battling to save his top-level career after suffering a torn Achilles while on duty for AC Milan last week. The former Manchester United midfielder underwent surgery in Finland last Monday to repair the damaged tendon, but he has been warned to expect six months on the sidelines.  Related ArticlesDavid Beckham blow is felt across the globeBeckham, Snoop Dogg and Noel Gallagher in Adidas advertKevin Garside: Britain needs new heroesBeckham 'feeling positive' after surgeryPoem about Beckham's injuryBeckham will not have enhanced 2018 roleBeckham has already been ruled out of South Africa 2010 by England manager Fabio Capello. But with the Italian leaving the door ajar for Beckham to return to the squad for the Euro 2012 qualifiers, Neville insists that the LA Galaxy star's desire and determination will see him bounce back to full fitness. Neville said: 'I think everyone was disappointed for David when he picked up the injury that looks set to rule him out of the World Cup. 'He has done so much to be part of this World Cup and he has been part of all of England's qualifying games and all the squads. 'I watched the game in which he got injured and it seemed initially that he'd just turned his ankle a little bit, but obviously the news was far worse and it looks like he will miss the tournament. It happened to me in 2002 so I know how it feels. 'It's difficult to comprehend because you play all your life to take part in World Cups and they only come around every four years, yet it is taken out of your hands 'I think everyone feels for him, but knowing David, I have no doubt he will rehabilitate himself in a professional manner, work as hard as he possibly can and I'm sure he will be back playing football within a few months. 'Sadly, it looks like he won't be back in time for the World Cup, but I believe he will be playing football again at the highest level next season. It is the timing of the injury that is the killer.' Neville, whose recent form for United has raised the prospect of him sneaking into the England squad three years after winning his 85th and last cap, admits that Beckham's injury is a genuine blow for England. Speaking to the *Times of Malta*, Neville said: 'It will be a big loss for England because he offers something different from the other players in his position. 'When he came on against us for AC Milan a few weeks ago, he showed that he offers absolute 100 per cent guaranteed quality when he is on the ball. 'He had been used from the bench as an impact player for England over the past few months, and you see when he comes on that the quality of his deliveries and passes can really make a difference in the last 25 minutes of a game. 'And when he is needed to start a match, he has great experience and has the ability to be able to control and affect a game.'


Telegraph

Sponsored links