Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson insists the huge numbers that attended Monday night's Premier League trophy parade have not prompted him to ponder another retirement U-turn.
Ferguson claimed the scale of the parade even eclipsed that which followed the historic 1999 treble. Many players felt the turn-out was largely due to Ferguson's decision to end his 26-year reign. But the Scot is sticking to his guns, with David Moyes already installed as his replacement.
"You always think about it (whether you are doing the right thing). But I think it is the right time. I really do," Ferguson said.
"We have a young squad, with a lot of good young players, who are going to get better. The big test is to win it three times in a row. I hope the boys can do it."
But there was no word on whether Wayne Rooney will still be around for the start of their title defence.
Ferguson confirmed on Sunday that the England striker had submitted a transfer request, although added that it had been turned down.
Rooney received a mixed reception when he boarded the open-top bus at Old Trafford for the start of the parade, although he did play an active part in the celebrations as it made its slow way along the route into the centre of Manchester, where huge numbers of United fans turned out to acclaim their team.
But, speaking to MUTV, Rooney did not answer directly a question about what the retiring Ferguson had done for him, and was not asked whether he would be staying or not.
"He has been brilliant for us all," Rooney said.
"He is a great manager. He is a winner and to do it for so long is incredible. He is a fantastic manager and a fantastic person."
Related Manchester United News