skip to content

WORLD CUP 2010: Anchor man Gareth Barry promises Capello he will be ready for South Africa

More

26 May 2010 11:47:36

WORLD CUP 2010: Anchor man Gareth Barry promises Capello he will be ready for South Africa

Fabio Capello received the World Cup boost he was praying for on Tuesday night when Gareth Barry told the England manager to count him in for South Africa. Barry saw a specialist about his injured ankle earlier in the day and was told he will be fit for the second game of England's World Cup campaign against Algeria in Cape Town on June 18, unless he suffers a setback in training.  Key man: Gareth Barry is likely to be named in Fabio Capello's World Cup squad, despite his injury The upbeat bulletin will have come as a timely lift for Capello, just hours after watching midfield deputies Michael Carrick and James Milner struggling to match Mexico in Monday's friendly at Wembley. England won 3-1 but the manager was far from satisfied, criticising his players at half-for failing to show the required intensity or pressure on the ball. Big blow: Barry limps off with damaged ankle ligaments earlier this month Capello will wait until June 1 before he makes the final decision on his 23-man squad but it will be a surprise if he now opts against including the Manchester City midfielder simply because he will miss the opening game against the USA. Barry's ability to read the game and fill the gaps will become even more valuable as the World Cup progresses. The midfielder's ankle was not scanned yesterday but it was tested by his specialist, who told him his rehabilitation could not have gone any better after the ligament damage he suffered playing against Spurs on May 5. The initial diagnosis suggested the 29-year-old had absolutely no chance of being fit but he has spent time in an oxygen chamber in an effort to speed up the recovery process. Barry will not travel with Capello's squad when they return to their Austrian training camp today but stay at City's training ground in Carrington. He will train using machines which gradually put more weight on the ankle until he is able to support his full weight. Barry is expecting to be back in full training around the time England play the USA on June 12. Meanwhile, Wayne Rooney has dismissed concerns over his fitness, saying: 'I don't know where these reports about my (injured) ankle come from. It's a load of rubbish.'  Gareth Barry holds it all together for England as Fabio Capello struggles to replace the Manchester City midfielderCrocked England star Barry staying positive over World Cup fitnessSign him up, Martin! Dunne urges Villa to snap up unhappy City star IrelandMARTIN SAMUEL: Don't forget Fabio...it's Emile Heskey you REALLY need MANCHESTER CITY FC


Daily_Mail

Sponsored links

Facebook comments

Related Manchester City News

advertisement

advertisment