- Manchester City News
- League Table
- News Archive
- Premier League News
Togo will miss Cup of Nations
10 Jan 2010 - 13:42:52
Togo will definitely not take part in the this month's Africa Cup of Nations, according to Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor.
The former Arsenal star has told French radio that Togo will return home following advice from their government after a gun attack on the team on Friday killed three people.
Some players had suggested that they would stay in Angola and take part in the tournament even though Togo Prime Minister Gilbert Houngbo had demanded the team leave the country for security reasons.
Adebayor told French radio station RMC: "The head of state (Gnassingbe) has decided we will return.
"There was a meeting between players yesterday (Saturday) and we said we were still footballers.
"We all decided to do something good for the country and play to honour those who died.
"Unfortunately, the head of state and the country's authorities have decided otherwise. We will pack up and go home."
The bus carrying the Togo squad to their training base in the northern province of Cabinda came under sustained gunfire.
Adebayor had earlier admitted he felt lucky to be alive following the attack which left two team-mates with gunshot wounds and the driver of the team bus dead.