Tevez expected to face charge
Carlos Tevez's disciplinary hearing at Manchester City is due to take place this afternoon.
Club officials have confirmed the player is expected to answer charges arising from an investigation into his conduct on the substitute's bench during last month's Champions League game at Bayern Munich.
The investigation was launched after manager Roberto Mancini alleged the 27-year-old refused to play as a substitute in the second half of the 2-0 loss at the Allianz Arena. The club have given no details relating to the hearing, but Press Association Sport understands Tevez will be charged with failure to resume warming up rather than a refusal to play.
Tevez, who was suspended for a fortnight during the inquiry, denied the allegation and blamed a misunderstanding. The Argentinian said he thought he was being asked to warm up again and he deemed that unnecessary as he had already done so.
While the latest developments suggest City have been unable to find sufficient evidence to fully corroborate Mancini's claims, the player would still face sanctions if found guilty.
Tevez would then be able to exercise his right to an appeal, which would be heard by a board of City directors. Should another ruling go against him, he could appeal to the Premier League. That whole process could see the saga run into December.
The outcome of Friday's hearing is unlikely to be made public until early next week.
Tevez has been training alone since returning from suspension and there is little prospect of a first-team recall for Sunday's eagerly-anticipated derby clash against Manchester United in the Barclays Premier League.
Mancini was again unable to answer questions about the situation at his regular pre-match press conference this morning. As has become customary, a club official warned reporters that questions relating to Tevez were not permitted.
"We have an important game and this is more important," said Mancini ahead of this weekend's top-of-the-table clash.
Related Manchester City News