Ten things Ajax that Man City need to know
Ten things you should know about Manchester City’s Champions League opponents
1. Ajax is historically one of the most successful clubs in the world. According to the IFFHS, Ajax were the seventh most successful European club of the 20th century.
2. The club is one of the five teams that has earned the right to keep the European Cup and to wear a multiple-winner badge.
3. Ajax won the championship in 1966 and 1967, scoring a record breaking 122 goals including 33 from Johan Cruyff.
4. The 1971 European Cup final saw Ajax beat Panathinaikos 2-0 with goals from Dick van Dijk and Arie Haan.
5. In 1973, Ajax won a third consecutive European Cup and another Dutch championship.
6. The departure of Cruyff for FC Barcelona in 1973 signaled the end of this period of success.
7. Cruyff returned to Ajax in 1981, with the club producing some talented youngsters in the mid-1980s such as Marco van Basten and Frank Rijkaard.
8. Cruiyff returned again in 1985 as the new manager and Ajax ended the season with 120 goals, of which 37 were from van Basten.
9. Ajax won the UEFA Champions League in 1995 and the league title. The season saw an unbeaten run in the national league and the final season for Frank Rijkaard.
10. The club is also particularly famous for its renowned youth program that has produced many Dutch talents over the years.
Related Manchester City News