skip to content

Silva boost as City prepare for Bolton

More

02 Mar 2012 01:16:54

Silva boost as City prepare for Bolton

David Silva has stated his intentions to stay and help manager Roberto Mancini transform Manchester City into the Premier League's major powerhouse.

Silva has played a key role in City's title charge this season and was part of the team which ended the club's 35-year trophy drought by winning the FA Cup last season.

The former Valencia player, who returns to club action against Bolton on Saturday after scoring for Spain in midweek, still has two years remaining on his contract at the Etihad Stadium.

And Silva has made it clear he will see out his contract as City close in on their first top-flight title for 44 years.

"I am very happy in England, I have two years on my contract and I want to complete it," he said.

"Right now I do not want to return to Spain. I'm happy, people treat me great and I hope to get more enjoyment.

"In addition, Mancini has total confidence in me. That's important for a player and I'm happy, team-mates are adapting to my game and that's also very good for me. In England, football is enjoyed to the fullest."

Silva is a player in form having followed up his goal against Porto in the Europa League with another in Spain's 5-0 friendly win over Venezuela.

He is expected to start as City look to extend their lead at the summit to five points with a home victory over struggling Bolton.

City's closest rivals Manchester United are away to third-placed Tottenham on Sunday.

Carlos Tevez made his first appearance in a City shirt for five months in midweek when the Argentina striker turned out for the reserves after ending his self-imposed exile from the club.

Tevez played the first 45 minutes against Preston before being replaced at the start of the second-half, but is not expected to feature against Bolton, who are second bottom of the table.

City have won their last 18 top-flight games at home, but Bolton's manager Owen Coyle insists his side's battling 3-2 defeat against Mancini's expensively-assembled side at the Reebok last August means his players have nothing to fear.

"We were terrific against Manchester City at the beginning of the season and lost narrowly 3-2," said Coyle.

"We showed that afternoon we can be a threat and again this Saturday we will go and try to be positive.

"We do, however, recognise the quality that they have. They have won every home league fixture in the last year, but when you go and spend £350 million you can build a squad capable of that.

"Will it be difficult? Absolutely but if we have every single player - not six, seven or eight - all tuned into their job and focused, then we can achieve a result.

"As a player, these are the games you should be excited to play in, to be able to line-up against some of the best players in the world."


AFP

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Manchester City News

advertisement

advertisment