- Manchester City News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
PFA chief fears Tevez incident may not be last
Published : 28 Sep 2011 12:05:37
Professional Players' Association chief Gordon Taylor fears Carlos Tevez's refusal to come on as a substitute for Manchester City may not be the last such incident as top clubs adapt to the demands of the modern game.
Manchester City star Tevez caused a storm of controversy following his refusal to come off the bench against Bayern Munich when asked by club manager Roberto Mancini on Tuesday.
Mancini has since pledged the Argentinian was "finished" -- a stance that was backed by ex-players and media commentators alike, with former Liverpool and Scotland great Graeme Souness describing Tevez as a "disgrace to football."
"He (Tevez) is one bad apple," Souness told Sky Sports. "He's a disgrace to football."
"It is totally unacceptable. He's a football player and he is paid to play."
Tevez was not the only player to test Mancini's resolve as City headed towards a 2-0 defeat at Bayern's Allianz Arena. Forward Edin Dzeko also reacted angrily after being replaced by Nigel de Jong.
Taylor, however, believes that as managers adapt to a squad-based system there could be further incidents.
"I think a lot more players are going to get upset," said Taylor.
"There will be top players not happy at being substituted, others who are not too pleased at being asked to retrieve a situation.
"But it is part and parcel of the game now.
"Players have to be professional, although sometimes managers have to be aware of the sensitivities involved too."
Mancini had indicated Tevez -- who is reportedly one of the highest earners in English football with weekly wages of more than Â£200,000 -- would never play for the club again in the aftermath of Tuesday's defeat.
"If I have my way he will be out. He's finished with me," Mancini said.
"If a player has a lot of money to play for Manchester City ... he can't (refuse to play), never."
The Italian added he would be speaking with Manchester City chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak in the next few days to decide what to do with Tevez.
"In the next days, we will speak with Khaldoon," said Mancini. "It is normal. He is the chairman. He decides everything."
The 27-year-old Tevez blamed his failure to appear on "confusion" on the City bench and apologised to the club's fans for "any misunderstanding."
"I would like to apologise to all Manchester City fans, with whom I have always had a strong relationship, for any misunderstanding that occurred in Munich," Tevez said.
"... there was some confusion on the bench and I believe my position may have been misunderstood.
"Going forward I am ready to play when required and to fulfil my obligations."
Taylor added: "It is a serious situation. It wasn't a good thing to happen.
"It would have been difficult enough to accept if Manchester City had been winning. The fact they were losing 2-0 made it harder to understand.
"The owners of Manchester City clearly want a club with a good reputation. That was not the case last night.
"A statement has been made by Roberto Mancini that the player will not play for the club again. Now it is for the owners to deal with."