skip to content

Pep Guardiola to Man City talk did not faze Roberto Mancini

More

18 Jan 2013 12:46:47

Pep Guardiola to Man City talk did not faze Roberto Mancini

Roberto Mancini on Friday said that he was never concerned about the prospect of Pep Guardiola taking his job at Manchester City, despite speculation before the Spaniard joined Bayern Munich.

Guardiola, the former Barcelona coach, was said to be lined up for a move to Eastlands should Mancini fail to deliver a trophy this year, despite leading the club to the English Premier League title last term.

The arrival at City of former Barca directors Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain as chief executive and director of football only fuelled the rumours that the champions were building a backroom team for Guardiola.

But Guardiola is now set to take over at the German giants from next season, after signing a three-year contract earlier this week.

"I think that after one year out of work he decided to go to an important team," he told a news conference. "Bayern Munich is one of the world's top clubs because of its history. He decided this because it was the best solution for him.

"I did not have any problems about (the speculation of a move to City)," he added. "I understand the newspapers write that every day every manager wants to come here because it's a good place. But I think we work very well here.

"I have a five-year contract," he said, adding that he did not think it was likely that that he would be replaced in the meantime.

Mancini, whose side are currently seven points behind league leaders and local rivals Manchester United, said that although he wants to add to his squad, he may only be able to sign young players instead of big names in the transfer window.

"I think in January it is difficult to take good players because there is not one club who can sell good players," he explained.

"Maybe we can find some young players if we get a chance. In the last 12 days we probably can do something but I am not sure."

Mancini also welcomed a move to rescind a red card handed to City defender Vincent Kompany for a challenge on Jack Wilshere in last weekend's win over Arsenal, allowing him to escape a three-match ban.

"I am very pleased because I think it (the decision) is correct," said the manager. "I think the referee managed the game very well but in that situation he did not get to see well. After, I think he did very well.

"I don't think that tackle was a red card. Sometimes it's not."

Mancini meanwhile revealed that Sergio Aguero will return to action in City's home game against Fulham on Saturday, as the Argentina international has completed his recovery from a hamstring injury.

Aguero has not played since City beat Stoke on New Year's Day.

Mancini said he was relieved City appear to have overcome several recent injury problems, with the manager blaming the Premier League's hectic schedule for the club's fitness problems.

"We don't have time to recover, this is the reason," he added. "If every player play every two days for one year then they go and play international football there is no time to recover."


AFP

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Manchester City News

advertisement

advertisment