skip to content

Joey Barton denied a visa for Newcastle's tour of United States

13 Jul 2011 19:38:03

Joey Barton denied a visa for Newcastle's tour of United States

Newcastle players Joey Barton and Nile Ranger must spend a week in Holland with the club's reserves and juniors after they were banned from a place on the senior tour of America by the US government. Barton described the US embassy's decision not to grant him a visa for the 10-day trip to North America as 'total hypocrisy' on his Twitter account after spending time there on holiday recently. Troubled past: Barton has been denied a visa and won't travel with the first team to the United States He travelled to the US in the close season when he was photographed with Newcastle team-mate Danny Simpson and Sunderland defender Phil Bardsley enjoying a break in Los Angeles. Although the club and embassy officials have refused to comment on Barton's application for the  Newcastle tour, which will include games against Sporting Kansas City, Orlando City and Columbus Crew, the criterion for working is different from travelling for pleasure. Barton had been refused entry to the United States on Sunday because of his previous conviction three years ago for assault. Denied entry: Nile Ranger (left) served an 11-week sentence in a young offenders institute The former Manchester City midfielderwas sentenced to six months in prison for the offence, which occurred outside a McDonald's restaurant in Liverpool, but since his release he has steered clear of trouble and drink. Behind bars: The former Manchester City midfielder was given a six-month jail term in 2008 But the travel ban, which means he misses a crucial part of Newcastle's pre-season preparations, is a huge blow to the 28-year-old, who has failed to negotiate a new deal with theclub during the summer break. On his Twitter feed Barton remarked: 'It is total hypocrisy considering what they get up to but rulesare rules. They told me I am not allowed in until I have five years without any trouble. Three yearsdown, two years to go...' Earlier, Newcastle released a club statement in which Barton revealed his disappointment with the decision. He said: 'Unfortunately, I was deniedmy visa due to my past. I regret not being able to travel with the clubon this trip, but at the same time, I don't expect to be treated any differently or more favourably than anyone else in a similar situation. All I can do is continue to improve as a person, which is what I intend to do. 'Again, apologies to all the NUFC supporters as well as the fast growing legions of football supporters inthe United States whom I was looking forward to meeting. I will see youin the future.' Meanwhile Ranger, who this week rejected a ?1.5million move to Blackpool, was turned down for his part in an armed robbery four years ago which earned him 11 weeks in a young offenders' institute. Turning the corner: Barton was one of Newcastle's most impressive performers last term The 20-year-old, who clearly has no future on Tyneside, would prefer a return to London and is expected to have talks with West Ham this week after manager Sam Allardyce indicatedhe was prepared to match Blackpool's bid. The deal could be done beforeNewcastle's reserves andjuniors travel to Holland. The trip for Peter Beardsley's shadowsquad, which leaves on Wednesday, will take in matches against Hollandia, FC Utrecht and Almere City. Barton is likely to captain the senior team who play their first pre-season match at Darlington on Friday night, in the absence of new skipper Fabricio Coloccini, who is being rested.  Who's This Charming Man? Barton parades new quiff... days after Morrissey meetingArsenal continue to track Barton and Enrique as doubts persist about Clichy's futureCLICK HERE TO SIGN UP FOR OUR FREE FANTASY FOOTBALL GAME


Daily_Mail

Sponsored links